Bates goal earns point after cup disappointment
Molten Spartan South Midlands Division One New Bradwell St Peter 1 Harpenden Town 1 Division One Cup Crawley Green 2 Harpenden Town 1 Harpenden Town had to settle for a point from their game at New Bradwell St Peter on Saturday. Town opened the scoring
Molten Spartan South Midlands Division One
New Bradwell St Peter 1
Harpenden Town 1
Division One Cup
You may also want to watch:
Crawley Green 2 Harpenden Town 1
Harpenden Town had to settle for a point from their game at New Bradwell St Peter on Saturday.
- 1 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 2 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 6 History comes to life at Celtic Harmony in Hertfordshire
- 7 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 8 Property Secrets: St Albans Green councillor Simon Grover
- 9 Youngsters star in Watford win much to delight of St Albans City boss Ian Allinson
- 10 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
Town opened the scoring in the 31st minute when Jimmy Warner sent an accurate through-ball to Will Bates who used his pace to beat the defender and slam his shot into the roof of the net.
A quick free kick caught the Town defence sleeping and Mike O'Farrell drew the home side level two minutes before half-time.
Playing up the slope in the second half, Harpenden endured a barrage of long balls. New Bradwell peppered the Town goal in the final minutes of the game but with the final touch lacking, Town held on for a point.
Harpenden Town: J.Gregory, Ross, Saul, Cartwright, Armitage, Taaffe, Jefferies, Chapman, Bates, C.Gregory, Warner. Subs: Burgess, Shaw, Doonan.
l Crawley Green scored either side of half time to knock Harpenden Town out of the Division One Cup.
Poor defending gifted Crawley Green their first goal, with James Potter firing into the top corner after 40 minutes. Town created several opportunities on the break and Dan Jefferies was unlucky to see his spectacular long range effort go over the bar.
Town started the second half the brighter, enjoying a 15-minute spell of dominance. However, they were unable to draw level and their failure to convert their opportunities was punished on 73 minutes when Tom Freeman headed home from close range.
Things got worse for Town when Nick Chapman was penalised for fouling a Crawley Green attacker in the box. Thankfully for Harpenden the penalty smashed off the crossbar and was cleared to safety.
Town pushed three men up front in an attempt to get back in the game and they did pull one back with five minutes remaining. Chris Gregory fired a free kick into the area which was knocked on and Nicky Chapman was on hand to turn the ball home. Town went all out looking for an equaliser and were handed a golden opportunity in the dying moments but Richard Taaffe dragged his shot wide of the post as Crawley Green held on for the win.
Harpenden Town: J.Gregory, Taaffe, Saul, Cartwright, Chapman, Warren, Jefferies, Doonan, Dawes, C.Gregory, Warner. Subs used: Ross, Smith, Shaw. Unused subs: Gilham, Armitage.