Bates and Winchester in smashing form as Harpenden top table
HCPL Division Two East Langleybury 243-8 (60) Harpenden 247-4 (48.5) OPENER Will Bates blasted a superb unbeaten century as Harpenden hit top form at home to Langleybury to lead the Home Counties Premier League Division Two East.
HCPL Division Two East
Langleybury 243-8 (60) Harpenden 247-4 (48.5)
OPENER Will Bates blasted a superb unbeaten century as Harpenden hit top form at home to Langleybury to lead the Home Counties Premier League Division Two East.
Visitors Langleybury won the toss and decided to bat with a superb 137 run second stand partnership between Gregg Cooper (88) and Ross Channer (72) proving the highlight of their innings. With the ball Sulaman Qadir shone for Harpenden on the Common striking out 5-91 off 24 overs. Chris Roe picked up the other three wickets as Langleybury were restricted to 243-8 off 60 overs.
You may also want to watch:
In reply, young stars Bates and Adam Winchester combined for a sensational 136 run opening stand before Winchester (74) was dismissed. Bates went on to remain undefeated on 108 and fine support from the impressive Qadir (36) proved enough as Harpenden eased to a six wicket win on 247-4 off 48.5 overs.
In Division Three, Harpenden II hosted Bishop's Stortford II and suffered a crushing 10 wicket defeat at St George's School. Harpenden were inserted and posted 185-7 off their 53 overs. Simon Arnold top scored with 71 off 129 balls and skipper David Whiteley hit 31 off 63 balls. Mick Brookes (24) and Graeme Sprowson (22) were the only other Harpenden batsmen to reach double figures.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
In reply, openers Simon McConnell (52 not out) and Samuel Fishpool (127 not out) ensured Stortford cruised to victory on 186-0 off 31.1 overs.
Harpenden III picked up a good win away at Radlett III in Division Four of the Saracens Herts League. Radlett won the toss but could only post 163-9 off 53 overs and Harpenden had overs to spare in reply, as they recorded 167-7 off 44 overs to win.