Batchwood’s Hannah Read represents GB in european tennis finals
- Credit: Archant
An aspiring tennis player from Batchwood Tennis Centre has represented Great Britain in a milestone event.
Hannah Read was part of GB’s U12 side that took part in the Tennis Europe Winter Cup finals in Sunderland.
The Year 7 Queenswood pupil and her squad mates beat Russia and Hungary to get to the final where they were up against the powerful Czech Republic.
And the Czechs proved too strong winning 3-0.
Read’s participation marks a significant milestone in her burgeoning career, which has also seen her play for GB in matches against France and Ireland in recent months.
Her coach at Batchwood, Jon Meredith, said: “Hannah continues to work hard every session and has a very determined attitude to progress.
“This is a big achievement for any player as only the top three players in GB are selected for the team.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 4 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 5 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 6 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 7 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 8 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 9 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 10 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
“She can deservedly be very proud of herself.”