Batchwood’s Hannah Read represents GB in european tennis finals
- Credit: Archant
An aspiring tennis player from Batchwood Tennis Centre has represented Great Britain in a milestone event.
Hannah Read was part of GB’s U12 side that took part in the Tennis Europe Winter Cup finals in Sunderland.
The Year 7 Queenswood pupil and her squad mates beat Russia and Hungary to get to the final where they were up against the powerful Czech Republic.
And the Czechs proved too strong winning 3-0.
Read’s participation marks a significant milestone in her burgeoning career, which has also seen her play for GB in matches against France and Ireland in recent months.
Her coach at Batchwood, Jon Meredith, said: “Hannah continues to work hard every session and has a very determined attitude to progress.
“This is a big achievement for any player as only the top three players in GB are selected for the team.
- 1 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 2 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 3 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 4 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 5 10 reasons to visit this sustainable, family-owned farm shop in St Albans
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 St Albans Striders shine at Summer Solstice 10k
- 8 What next for Alban Arena and city centre culture?
- 9 Fight to save village Green Belt from development
- 10 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
“She can deservedly be very proud of herself.”