Batchwood dominate at mini tennis league finals
Tennis stars net a host of honours from finals weekend
MINI TENNIS: THE Hertfordshire mini team tennis league finals took place this past weekend and the local Batchwood teams walked away with a clutch of honours.
In the Red League (eight and under), 31 teams competed throughout the winter months and the finals took place on Saturday at the David Lloyd Club, Bushey.
The following six teams involved in finals day were group winners in the league and were Batchwood Bears, Letchworth Red Lobbers, Batchwood Bulls, Legends Red Masters, Townsend Red Tigers and Welwyn Red Wanderers.
During the day, the teams competed in two groups and the winners of each group went through to the finals.
It was a good day for the Batchwood club with the Bears (Andre Raath, Alice O’Neill, Oliver Tarvet and Alexander Smith) triumphing over Letchworth Red Lobbers in the final with the Bulls taking third place.
In the Orange League (nine and under), 25 teams competed throughout the winter and their finals took place on Sunday at Gosling Sports Park, Welwyn Garden City.
- 1 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 2 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 3 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 4 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 5 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 6 St Albans named best in the UK for recycling
- 7 Landowners advised to step up security following spike in fly-tipping across Hertfordshire
- 8 More harsh truths in the St Albans City dressing room as mistakes cost them at Chippenham
- 9 Controversial plans to build quarry in Hatfield scrapped
- 10 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
Four teams competed in the final event: Batchwood Buffalos, Letchworth Orange Lobbers, Harpenden Orange Hotshots and Gosling Orange Crucial Cruisers. Batchwood again had a day to remember with the Buffalos (Joe Collins, Jason Sutton, Harry Tallantire and Sophia Mezzone) beating Letchworth Orange Lobbers in the final.
The club would like to thank the parents of the players for organising the majority of the teams and for their dedication and enthusiasm throughout the winter. The children should also be congratulated not only on their success but on the good sportsmanship they demonstrated.