Basingstoke game 'massive' - Smith
ST ALBANS City s Player of the Month for November, Peter Smith, believes tonight s (Tuesday) game with Basingstoke Town will be a massive one for the Saints. City s good run of form has come to an abrupt halt in recent weeks following defeats to Woking
ST ALBANS City's Player of the Month for November, Peter Smith, believes tonight's (Tuesday) game with Basingstoke Town will be a 'massive' one for the Saints.
City's good run of form has come to an abrupt halt in recent weeks following defeats to Woking in the FA Trophy and Bromley and the left back believes a win against Basingstoke can help turn the team's fortunes around.
"I think Tuesday is going to be a massive game for us, if we can get something we can hopefully push on from there," Smith told the Herts Advertiser following Saturday's 2-0 defeat to Bromley.
"I think we're making the chances, which is the best thing, if we weren't then it would start to get even worse," continued the attacking full back.
You may also want to watch:
"I've only just come in and there's not a lot between the teams it was just they're taking their chances and we're not.
"We've been playing well, especially in the league, the Woking game was a freak result. We've just got to not let our heads go down when we go behind."
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 6 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 7 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 8 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 9 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
Smith has made an instant impact since making his debut in the 1-0 win at Woking at the start of the month and the 24-year-old has scooped the Harpenden Construction Ltd. Player of the Month award in his first month with the club.
"I'm really enjoying it, I'm getting a lot of the ball which is great but it's more about the team performance and I just want to get back into a winning team.
"It's (Blue Square South) slightly different from the league I've come from. I've got to pick and choose when I go on these runs and when is right, but Steve's (Castle) been great giving me the licence to go forward but first and foremost I am a defender.
"I've sort of been on trial at Bournemouth and it was through Gibby (Darren Gibb) that I got my chance and I've taken it hopefully. It's a good standard and hopefully the St Albans fans will like my style."
Steve Castle revealed after last week's defeat to Woking in the FA Trophy that Smith wasn't yet at full fitness but the player himself believes he's nearly there.
"I've just moved to the area, I'm working in Kentish Town doing some marketing, so I've just come straight into it. I think I'm pretty much fully fit now, a couple more games and I'll be there or thereabouts."
Smith will collect his Harpenden Construction Ltd. Player of the Month award for November from Ken Butcher before Saturday's game with Chelmsford City.