Baseball: Play-off rematch as Falcons prepare for Nationals
- Credit: Archant
The Herts Falcons are preparing for a crucial game in the National Baseball League season this Sunday, 22 June.
The reigning NBL champions, Harlow Nationals, will be coming to town to resume a rivalry which has sometimes reached boiling point over the last three years. This is the first meeting between the two teams since the National Championship semi-final last September which the Nationals won 8-7 on the way to clinching the title.
Both teams will go into the battle with identical records of four wins and six losses. They currently occupy fourth and fifth place in the standings knowing that only the top four teams in the NBL will qualify for the postseason play-offs. The doubleheader starts at 12pm at Grovehill Ballpark in Hemel Hempstead and is expected to attract the largest attendance of the season so far. Admission is free.
At the weekend Herts Eagles lost both games at the Cambridge Royals, but both were closely fought affairs, with the second being a classic pitchers’ duel which the Royals won 1-0.
Herts Hawks are still within reach of the play-off zone after a 17-9 win against the Bracknell Inferno.
Herts Raptors are still looking for their first win of the season after a 35-25 defeat at home to the Tonbridge Bobcats.
Three members of the Herts youth baseball academy have been selected as members of the Southern All Star team which beat the All Star team of the North and Midlands league and will now be representing Great Britain at the Little League European qualifier which takes place in Italy next month.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 4 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 7 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 8 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 9 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
- 10 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
If they win that stage, they will be travelling to America to play in the Little League World Series – the climax of competition involving 2.6 million participants, which will be broadcast live on ESPN to millions around the globe. The youth baseball league action continues in the UK throughout the year and it is not too late for boys and girls aged six to 16 to give baseball a try. Everyone is welcome - from complete beginners to experienced players. For more details contact Herts Baseball Club by visiting www.hertsbaseball.com.
BBF Triple-A League
Herts Eagles 2 Cambridge Royals 7
Herts Eagles 0 Cambridge Royals 1
BBF Double-A League
Bracknell Inferno 9 Herts Hawks 17
BBF Single-A League
Tonbridge 35 Herts Raptors 25
U17 Little League UK Qualifier
Southern All Stars 14 Midlands/North All Stars 1
Southern All Stars win series 2-0 and progress through to European qualifier. Southern All Stars features Herts Harriers players, Carlos Casal Jr, Sebastian Molina and Zack Longboy.