Baseball: Osborn and Salas star as Falcons sink Pirates
- Credit: Archant
Herts Falcons moved up three places and are now tied in fourth place in the National Baseball League standings after two wins over the South London Pirates on Sunday.
The games marked the home debuts of new signings Ryan Hackel and Zac Malone. Their arrival along with that of Jose Sosa and the return from injury of players like Abel Salas and Mike Osborn has renewed hopes of Herts baseball fans that the team can mount a major play-off push.
Osborn and Salas were the winning pitchers for the Falcons, allowing only three runs over the two games. Despite still feeling the effects of a hamstring injury, Salas also added a home run to his name.
The final scores were 12-2 and 7-1. The Falcons’ next game is again at home on Sunday, 22 June, when they host the reigning NBL champions, the Southern Nationals.
The Herts Hawks had a similar boost as starting pitcher Zack Longboy made his season debut and secured a win against second-placed Richmond Dragons. He allowed only one run and struck out six batters. Jim Arnott came in relief to close the game and he also contributed offensively with a home run. The Hawks took a two-run lead into the final inning of the second game of the day, but Richmond made a dramatic comeback to split the series.
You may also want to watch:
Herts Raptors’ bats did some damage against Haverhill Blackjacks. However, some crucial fielding errors at critical moments prevented them from getting close to their first win of the season as they lost 30-20.
The Blackjacks remain one of only two unbeaten baseball teams across the four British baseball leagues this season. The other team is the London Mammoths.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 5 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 6 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 7 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 8 Shortages crisis hits district
- 9 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 10 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers
Next Sunday, June 15, Herts Hawks and Herts Raptors have home games against Bracknell Inferno and Tonbridge Bobcats, respectively, while the Herts Eagles travel to Cambridge.
National Baseball League
South London Pirates 2 Herts Falcons 12
South London Pirates 1 Herts Falcons 7
Richmond Dragons 6 Herts Hawks 10
Richmond Dragons 18 Herts Hawks 14
Herts Raptors 20 Haverhill Blackjacks 30