Baseball: Jones and Thomas take over Raptors
- Credit: Archant
Herts Baseball has announced that Rob Jones and Geoff Thomas will be co-managers of the Herts Raptors for the season.
The Raptors will play in the Single-A League for 2014 after the BBF rejected their application to be promoted to Double-A.
This managerial role has been vacant since the club’s AGM last November. On advertising the role, a large number of candidates expressed an interest, but the club moved to install Jones and Thomas.
Jones has considerable experience, having been with Herts since the early days when the club had only one team. He has since played a key role in the growth of Herts Baseball.
As a player, Jones was 2005 Batting Champion with the Herts Falcons’ second team, playing in Division 1 (now AA), and in 2008 was Batting Champion for the Herts Raptors (Single-A league) and in the same season was awarded the Outfield Gold Glove.
You may also want to watch:
Thomas is a knowledgeable player with over 10 years playing experience. He has been a member of the Herts Eagles for the last two seasons, having previously played and been on the board at Bristol.
Together, they have outlined their vision for developing a team culture and have a strong coaching ethic to ensure the players understand all aspects of the game.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
The timing of the appointment is key as the managers of the adult league teams will shortly be going through the process of determining their preliminary 2014 rosters. The Raptors will be active in the Spring League series, commencing on March 22 with a home fixture against London Musketeers.