Baseball: Hawks picked up two wins against Pirates
- Credit: Archant
The Herts Hawks are back in the play-off race after two wins against the South London Pirates on Sunday.
Pitcher Nick Russell had another outstanding performance which helped the Hawks win 10-5 in the first match. Jim Arnott was just as impressive in the second game of this double-header.
Despite trailing 11-6 in the fourth inning, the Hawks recovered to win 22-12. There was a tense moment partway through the second game after a South London player was ejected from the game. It took 20 minutes for the game to resume.
Herts Raptors lost a 25-24 see-saw Single-A League game at Brentwood. It was a six-hour, incident-packed marathon in the sunshine.
Late on Friday Herts Baseball Club confirmed that two of its players, Jamie Gregory and Tom Everex-Armstrong, were invited to the MLB Try Outs in Barcelona at the weekend. Although there have been several other British players called up to the MLB European Try Outs in previous years, this is the first time that members of Herts Baseball Club take part in this prestigious programme. Over two dozen players have gone on to sign contracts with MLB teams in the last three years.
This news will give British youngsters the belief that, with hard work, they have the opportunity to reach the top of the game. Regardless of whether you are aiming to reach the top or simply interested to give baseball a try, boys and girls aged six to 16 will have the opportunity try baseball this Saturday, May 10, at 10am at an Open Day organised by Herts Baseball Club. For details how to take part contact Herts Baseball Club via their website hertsbaseball.com or call 020 8455 0597
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 6 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 7 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 8 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 9 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 10 MP condemns government over BBC threat
British Double-A League
South London Pirates 5 Herts Hawks 10
South London Pirates 12 Herts Hawks 22
British Single-A League
Herts Raptors 24 Brentwood Bucks 25
NEXT GAMES (SUNDAY, 11 MAY)
National Baseball League
Game One: 12pm, Herts Falcons @ Bracknell Blazers
Game Two: 2.30pm, Herts Falcons @ Bracknell Blazers
British Triple-A League
Game One: 1pm Essex Redbacks @ Herts Eagles
Game Two: 3.30pm Essex Redbacks @ Herts Eagles
British Double-A League
Game One: 12pm Herts Hawks @ Brentwood Stags
Game Two: 2.30pm Herts Hawks @ Brentwood Stags