Bailey expected to follow Taylor and Kaloczi’s lead
- Credit: Archant
James Gray expects Elliot Bailey to follow in the footsteps of his fellow youth products and carve out a place in the St Albans City squad.
The 18-year-old striker returned from a month-long loan at SSML Premier Division side Colney Heath to appear for City as a second-half substitute against Chippenham Town.
Now he is back with the team, Gray wants him to replicate what Matt Taylor and James Kaloczi have done.
“I expect him to do what the other lads have done: come in, work hard and grasp the opportunity,” said Gray after the 1-0 over Chippenham at Clarence Park on Monday night.
“His opportunities have been limited this season because [John] Frendo and Mark [Nwokeji] were playing so well at the start of the season and we’ve brought in Peter [Dean], but he’s been out on loan, worked hard and got himself fit and sharp.
“Hopefully we can get him firing on all cylinders. We need someone to stick the ball in the net; I’ve known Ell five or six years and that’s the one thing he does.”
Bailey could see his chances increase dramatically in the coming weeks with Jamal Lowe set to return to Barnet after this Saturday’s game with Redditch and Frendo’s three-game suspension coming into effect after Tuesday’s match at Biggleswade.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 3 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 4 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
- 5 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 6 School's generous donation to foodbank
- 7 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 8 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 9 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
- 10 Breakaway Theatre Company returns with an enjoyable day at the races in Ladies' Day
Without Frendo and Lowe, City attacking options are Bailey, Dean, Chris Henry, Sam Corcoran and Nwokeji.