Athletics: Success for St Albans Striders
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Striders were confirmed as winners of Southern League Division Three North after the final fixture at Watford.
Andrew Maher ran the 2,000 metres steeplechase in nine minutes 50 seconds, as Wendy Walsh completed the 3,000m in 11.43.
Paul Adams (16.17) and Graham Smith (16.54) ran the 5,000m, while Gareth Beavis set a new 400m best of 66.7.
Tim Searle won the hilly, off-road Trent Park 10k in 42.13, while Mark Travers (5:35) and Jack Brooks (6:16) ran the Woldingham Trail marathon in the Surrey hills.
Graham Smith (28.11) and Graham Foster (32.14) ran the Veterans five-mile race in Battersea, finishing second in their respective age groups, as Martin Halling (33.30) was third in the M60 group over the same distance in Headington, Oxfordshire.
You may also want to watch:
Donna Irwin was not far behind in 37.38, while Jenny Maddocks (43.32) and Clare Stephen (49.22) ran the Chase the Sun 10k in London’s Olympic Park.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Green light given to new hospital project
- 5 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 6 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 7 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 8 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 9 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 10 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant