Astronauts fly high in Finals
St Albans Tennis club sides take second and third
TENNIS: FOR the second year running St Albans Tennis Club had two teams in the final stage of the U11 Cluster League Finals played at Gosling High Performance Tennis Centre, Welwyn GC on Sunday.
Once again the two teams from the club met each other in the semi finals and after some close matches, the St Albans Astronauts - James Wilkinson, Robbie Thandi, Olivia Elsmark and Katie Yates - progressed to the final where they met a strong combined team from Leverstock Green and Cassiobury.
Despite putting up a good fight and some tight games against County U10 players the team had to be content with runners-up for the second year running.
In the third/fourth place play off, the St Albans Boomerangs - Rosie Shreeves, Lucy Girdlestone, Zoe Sutton, Izzy Vin D’Arc, Dominic Boost and Tom Hails - beat a team from the Legends Club despite the St Albans number one girl, Lucy Girdlestone, injuring herself and having to forfeit her match despite being ahead.
You may also want to watch:
Such is the depth of tennis within children in this age group at the club, four players, Charlie and Tollef Ellam, Matthew Pollard and Nathan Wooster who had all played in earlier matches did not actually take part on finals day, but the whole of this talented U11 squad have good reason to celebrate.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 5 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 6 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 7 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 10 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden