Astronauts fly high in Finals
St Albans Tennis club sides take second and third
TENNIS: FOR the second year running St Albans Tennis Club had two teams in the final stage of the U11 Cluster League Finals played at Gosling High Performance Tennis Centre, Welwyn GC on Sunday.
Once again the two teams from the club met each other in the semi finals and after some close matches, the St Albans Astronauts - James Wilkinson, Robbie Thandi, Olivia Elsmark and Katie Yates - progressed to the final where they met a strong combined team from Leverstock Green and Cassiobury.
Despite putting up a good fight and some tight games against County U10 players the team had to be content with runners-up for the second year running.
In the third/fourth place play off, the St Albans Boomerangs - Rosie Shreeves, Lucy Girdlestone, Zoe Sutton, Izzy Vin D’Arc, Dominic Boost and Tom Hails - beat a team from the Legends Club despite the St Albans number one girl, Lucy Girdlestone, injuring herself and having to forfeit her match despite being ahead.
You may also want to watch:
Such is the depth of tennis within children in this age group at the club, four players, Charlie and Tollef Ellam, Matthew Pollard and Nathan Wooster who had all played in earlier matches did not actually take part on finals day, but the whole of this talented U11 squad have good reason to celebrate.
- 1 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 2 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 6 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden
- 9 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital