Arthur crowns fine display as Belstone defeat Royals
GILES Arthur struck the winner as champions Belstone got off to a winning start in the Harrow Sunday Challenge League Premier Division. Away at newly-promoted Ruislip Royals,
Harrow Sunday Challenge League Premier Division
Ruislip Royals 1 Belstone 2
GILES Arthur struck the winner as champions Belstone got off to a winning start in the Harrow Sunday Challenge League Premier Division.
Away at newly-promoted Ruislip Royals, Belstone recalled goalkeeper Rob Blackburne after injury and also added Steve Huckle, Paul Yule and Matt Cole to the squad.
Cole nearly opened the scoring on 10 minutes when he ran clear on goal only to be denied by a fine save.
Blackburne proved the main obstacle for Ruislip as Belstone struggled to contain their quick breaks. From one such move three players beat the offside trap and after Blackburne saved, the rebound was powered home for the Royals to lead.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 6 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 Allinson happy with the reaction from St Albans City in the draw at Chelmsford
- 9 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 10 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
Minutes before the break midfielder John Beschizza tapped home an equaliser after Lee Gorrell met Paul Yule's corner with a thumping header.
The rejuvenated Steve Quinn proved a key figure in the early second half attacks and nearly gave Belstone the lead when he volleyed just over after bamboozling a defender.
Chasing the win, Belstone manager Joe Sheridan introduced subs Rob Wellington, Jason Hiskey and Steve Huckle. The visitors now began to dominate and with five minutes to go Arthur finished off a cross from the hard working Billy Hunter to make it 2-1.
Belstone hung on to the victory in a cagey final few minutes. On Sunday Belstone are at home against South Kilburn.