Arsenal links continue to flourish as Merson signs for St Albans City
- Credit: Archant
Sam Merson, son of Arsenal legend and Sky Sports pundit Paul, has signed for St Albans City.
Merson joins from Southern Premier League side Redditch United.
The forward started last season at fellow Southern League side Biggleswade Town scoring 15 goals.
He added eight more following his move to Redditch before making the step up to City.
Assistant manager Lee Allinson said: “I’m extremely pleased we have managed to beat a host of other clubs including offers from the Conference North to secure Sam’s signature.
“We look forward to working with him and seeing him in a Saints shirt next season.”
Merson becomes Saints fifth signing of the summer following the acquisitions of Ian Rees (Biggleswade Town), Shaun Lucien (Wealdstone), James Russell (Boreham Wood) and Ben Herd (Hemel Hempstead Town).
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 4 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 5 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 6 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 7 Honest truths spilled in Saints dressing room after humbling FA Trophy defeat to Cheshunt
- 8 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 10 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school
They join Lee Chappell and Louie Theophanous who are confirmed as returning next year.
However, one player who has left the club is Michael Thalassitis who was confirmed by Margate as signing for them.