Arsenal announce two new signings
Arsenal Ladies have announced the arrival of Scotland internationals Emma Mitchell and Caroline Weir.
Mitchell is a versatile 20-year-old, equally comfortable in defence and midfield. Strong, athletic and good on the ball, the left-footed player came through the ranks at Glasgow City’s academy, becoming a first-team regular aged just 17.
After four successful years in the Scottish Premier League, Mitchell proved herself at the very highest level last term with German side SGS Essen.
She has 22 caps for Scotland at senior level and has captained her country at under-19 level. She was also part of the Scottish FA performance centre.
Attacking midfielder Weir joins the Club from Hibernian, where she has shown herself to be an exciting prospect.
You may also want to watch:
Skilful and with an eye for goal, the 18-year-old is a product of the same Hibs Academy as current Arsenal Ladies midfielder and PFA Player of the Year Kim Little.
Having represented Scotland at every youth level, Weir was awarded a first senior cap in a 3-2 victory over Iceland in June 2013.
- 1 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 2 Lease up for grabs on vacant Batchwood Hall building
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 5 Driver hospitalised after three-vehicle accident on M1 near Redbourn
- 6 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 7 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 8 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 9 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
The Scottish duo are the first signings Shelley Kerr has made since becoming head coach and the former Scotland coach is delighted to have added both players.
“In Emma and Caroline, Arsenal have secured two players of outstanding quality,” Kerr said. “I worked with them both while I was with the Scottish FA and know just how talented they are.
“Emma is strong and physical but technically really good, too. Caroline is a smart, creative player, with an eye for a pass and a good shot.
“They’re both left-footed players, which will help the balance of the team, and I’ve no doubt they’ll fit in well with the group of players we’ve got here at Arsenal Ladies.
“On behalf of everyone at the Club I’d like to welcome them to the Arsenal Ladies set-up.”