Arsenal announce two new signings
Arsenal Ladies have announced the arrival of Scotland internationals Emma Mitchell and Caroline Weir.
Mitchell is a versatile 20-year-old, equally comfortable in defence and midfield. Strong, athletic and good on the ball, the left-footed player came through the ranks at Glasgow City’s academy, becoming a first-team regular aged just 17.
After four successful years in the Scottish Premier League, Mitchell proved herself at the very highest level last term with German side SGS Essen.
She has 22 caps for Scotland at senior level and has captained her country at under-19 level. She was also part of the Scottish FA performance centre.
Attacking midfielder Weir joins the Club from Hibernian, where she has shown herself to be an exciting prospect.
Skilful and with an eye for goal, the 18-year-old is a product of the same Hibs Academy as current Arsenal Ladies midfielder and PFA Player of the Year Kim Little.
Having represented Scotland at every youth level, Weir was awarded a first senior cap in a 3-2 victory over Iceland in June 2013.
- 1 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 2 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Hertfordshire teen bullying victim given royal honour
- 4 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 5 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 6 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 7 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 8 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 9 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 10 5 things you might not have known about Herts county council's new chairman
The Scottish duo are the first signings Shelley Kerr has made since becoming head coach and the former Scotland coach is delighted to have added both players.
“In Emma and Caroline, Arsenal have secured two players of outstanding quality,” Kerr said. “I worked with them both while I was with the Scottish FA and know just how talented they are.
“Emma is strong and physical but technically really good, too. Caroline is a smart, creative player, with an eye for a pass and a good shot.
“They’re both left-footed players, which will help the balance of the team, and I’ve no doubt they’ll fit in well with the group of players we’ve got here at Arsenal Ladies.
“On behalf of everyone at the Club I’d like to welcome them to the Arsenal Ladies set-up.”