Appalling conditions brings disappointing result for Tabard
- Credit: Archant
Injuries and the foul weather took their toll as Tabard slumped to a 34-6 defeat away to HAC.
The game at Chiswick was played out in drenching rain and a chilling wind but Tabard started brightly, Jack Reilly kicking a penalty before landing a well-taken drop goal inside the first quarter of the game.
However, the fly-half would soon depart with injury and Tabard would fail to trouble the scoreboard again.
HAC closed to within one point on 25 minutes, executing a perfect catch and drive from a line-out and they went 10-6 ahead just before half-time, their No8 picking up from the base of a five-metre scrum.
Scrums went unopposed in the second half when Tabard where hit with another injury, this time to prop John Tilley. It also meant they would see out the game with just 14 men.
And despite being very much in the contest for the first 15 minutes of the second half, it was always a matter of time before HAC took advantage of their numerical superiority.
A try from the base of the scrum was converted and they added another 10 minutes later, winning a line-out to score in the corner.
- 1 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 2 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 4 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 5 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Man in his 20s stabbed in shopping area in Hemel Hempstead
- 9 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
- 10 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
The visitors had their moments. Their best chance coming when the HAC fly-half fumbled inside his own 22 but they were unable to capitalise.
Two further scores made the result as miserable for Tabard as the weather.