Anna Patten prepared for the U17 Women’s World Cup
- Credit: SPORTSFILE
A Harpenden schoolgirl is preparing to face the might of the footballing world – at the FIFA U17 Women’s World Cup.
Anna Patten, who attends the sixth form at St George’s School in Love Lane, flew to Jordan with her England team-mates last week to help acclimatise to the heat.
They will be one of 16 teams competing in the fifth running of the tournament, which is held every two years.
England qualified as one of three from Europe, alongside Germany and Spain, having won a play-off against Norway in May.
And Patten, who has played and trained with Arsenal Ladies Reserves for the last six years, is hoping to add to the five appearances she has already made.
Mum Paula Coyle said: “All the staff at St George’s are very supportive of her. She started playing football at grass roots at Wheathampstead Wanderers where she loved playing with the boys.
“They actually voted her players’ player of the year in her first season there.
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 'Don't touch my hair!' - tackling hair discrimination against black youngsters
- 3 Red Door Recruitment share tips to help you land your dream job as they celebrate 15 years in business
- 4 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 7 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 8 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 9 Property Spotlight: A striking modern apartment in St Albans
- 10 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
“She is really excited to be part of the squad for the World Cup.”
England start their campaign with a game against North Korea today (Saturday) before facing Nigeria on Tuesday and the mighty Brazil on Saturday, October 8.
The final, should they get there, is scheduled for Friday, October 21 and all games will be shown on Eurosport.