Amy Platten picks up first senior international judo medal in Croatia
- Credit: SUBMITTED
St Albans' Amy Platten added another medal to her ever-expanding collection with bronze at the Senior European Cup in Dubrovnik, Croatia.
It has capped a good few weeks for the former St Albans Girls' School pupil as she was also confirmed as part of the European U23 Championship squad in Budapest, Hungary.
Her Croatian battle began with a bout against Christina Blanaru of Moldova who was difficult to get hold of in the early going.
Platten adjusted her game though and got the winning score to advance to a meeting with Poland's Natalia Stoklosa.
She just failed to score with a big attack 45 seconds from the end of normal time and foul trouble in the golden score section ended with her picking up three and being disqualified.
It left her fighting in the repechage bronze competition and she cruised through to the medal match with a determined win over Ka Lee Wong of China.
And there was won in ease when the German Sarah Ischt was disqualified for using a dangerous move.
- 1 Revealed: The Hertfordshire hotspots named among Phil Spencer's best London commuter towns
- 2 Cash stolen from parked car on Harpenden Road in St Albans
- 3 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 4 'Hot Shot' Ivor Jones dies age 79
- 5 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
- 6 Men of Fields embark on charity challenge
- 7 St Albans church organises eco-friendly event
- 8 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
- 9 Revealed: Most popular Deliveroo takeaway dishes in St Albans
- 10 Woman found in canal near M25 in Hertfordshire
Platten said: "I am happy to get my first senior international medal and I am improving in every competition.
"I know where I need to improve to get to the top of the podium but knowing and doing are two different things."