Alli and Emma set for Round the Island race
- Credit: Archant
Hertfordshire duo Alli Harmer and Emma Taylor will join Keech Hospice Care’s eight-boat flotilla at the J.P. Morgan Asset Management Round the Island Race on June 27.
Harmer from St Albans, who is the Hospices’s head of fundraising partnerships, will join regional fundraiser Taylor from Harpenden alongside the other 16,000 sailors set to master one of the world’s largest yacht races.
Keech Hospice Care, the children’s hospice for Hertfordshire, delivers care to children both at the hospice and in their own homes across Harpenden and St Albans.
“Having only ever dabbled in dinghy sailing on family holidays, I feel so privileged to have the opportunity to participate in such a prestigious race on a big boat,” said Taylor, who added she was ‘more than a little concerned’ about sea sickness.
“I am a passionate believer in raising awareness for hospice care, and can’t think of a better cause than fundraising for Keech Hospice and supporting local children; I really want everyone to know what a special place it is.”
You may also want to watch:
To date the fundraising through the Go Team Keech JustGiving page has reach over £25,000
The famous 50 nautical mile course around the Isle of Wight, now in its 84th year, organised by the Island Sailing Club, is an all-encompassing event. The race’s ethos caters for and embraces first timers, families, amateurs and professionals competing at the highest level.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly