Allen keeps nerve as tension mounts to give Verulamians a narrow win
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians were made to work hard for their 23-20 victory at bottom of the table Hitchin.
The result of this game was in doubt until the final 10 minutes when Vees Sam Allen slotted over the winning penalty.
Until then and particularly in the first half Hitchin took the fight to Vees and denied them both possession and territory.
Had it not been for Vees resolute defence Vees would have faced a far larger deficit at half time than the 12-7 they turned round with.
Only an electric burst from Allen brought any points in the first half but plenty of grit in the second half brought the win.
You may also want to watch:
Allen added another penalty and a try out of the blue by Chris Gillespie made it 17-17 with 20 minutes to go.
Both teams lost players to yellow cards and as the error count grew, the sides traded penalties before Allen was presented with another kick that he sent between the uprights.
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 3 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 4 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 7 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 8 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 9 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans