Allen hat-trick not enough as St Albans Centurions suffer derby defeat
- Credit: Archant
A hat-trick by Sam Allen was not enough for St Albans Centurions as they fell to a 44-22 derby defeat at Hemel Stags.
They were on top for the opening 10 minutes but couldn’t find a way over the line.
And they were made to pay as Hemel ran in four tries, three of them converted, in a sparkling 10-minute spell.
Allen got his first just before the break with a side-step, converting it as well, and he danced through early in the second period, converting that one too, to narrow the gap further.
And when a long pass put Joe Shaw in straight after, the gap was down to 10.
You may also want to watch:
But the threat of a comeback woke Hemel up and five tries in 17 minutes finished the game as a contest.
There was still time though for Allen to score and convert his third.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Motorists who kill cats should be prosecuted, says St Albans family after pet's death
- 3 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Area Guide: The Childwickbury estate explored
- 6 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 7 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 10 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
The quest for a first victory of the East Rugby League season takes St Albans to Brentwood Eels on Saturday.