Ali takes six wickets for OAs in low-scoring victory
- Credit: Archant
Ahsan Ali took six wickets as Old Albanian bowled out Old Finchleians for 119 to win a low-scoring game by 43 runs.
OAs only managed 162 in 52.4 over at Old Finchleians Memorial Ground on Saturday, but the hosts fared even worse as Ali tore through the line-up. Finchleians’ resistance last 44.3 overs before Ali wrapped up the game with superb figures of 6-24 from 13.3 overs.
Such was OAs’ dominance with the ball that the hosts’ opener, Divyesh Chitroda, scored just 20 off 80 balls. He wasn’t only the only batsmen to be stifled by the bowling attack - 10 of 11 batters finished with a strike rate under 50.
The only Finchleian to find any success was Mayur Depala Jnr. He matched Chitroda’s output, hitting 20 from 29 balls at number eight. His performance came far too late, though.
A four-wicket collapse for six runs spelt danger as the hosts went from 61-1 to 67-5.
Jack Reynolds ran out Tejash Depala for the sixth wicket before Ali took over. He accounted for the next four wickets as Old Finchleians bowed out 43 runs short of their target.
Batting hadn’t been easier for OAs either, but good knocks from Alex Goldstone and Robert Goldstone slowed down the bowling attack of Mayur Depala Jnr and Chetan Depala Jnr. Alex scored just eight runs off boundaries in his 39 while Robert hit four fours on his way to 36.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 7 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
Their innings, coupled with Zahid Khan’s 21 and Moz Hayat’s 23, proved to be the match-winners as Old Albanian stayed firmly in the hunt for promotion from Saracens Herts Division One.