Alexis Sanchez and Santi Cazorla train at London Colney ahead of Arsenal V Olympiacos
- Credit: Archant
Members of the media descended upon the London Colney training grounds of Arsenal today (Monday) ahead of tomorrow’s UEFA Champions League clash with Olympiacos FC.
Photographers, including the Herts Advertiser’s Danny Loo, snapped the Gunners in action at the club’s 57-hectare site at Bell Lane.
Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger, at a later media briefing, said that Francis Coquelin, who had suffered from a swollen knee during the Gunners’ recent match with Chelsea, was back in training.
He said Coquelin had returned yesterday, “and I will have to see how he responds to two days of training, but he looks alright.”
Wenger added that midfielders Mathieu Flamini (hamstring) and Mikel Arteta “both have slight muscular problems, but I think Flamini has a scan today, and Arteta certainly as well”.
However, neither player is suffering serious problems, with Wenger confirming “they are not big injuries; it is a question of days [to recover]”.
A few days ago he said that Harpenden-based Jack Wilshere, whose last game was in July, has successfully undergone surgery following a fracture and “touch wood, hopefully all goes well now”.
On Arsenal’s website, Per Mertesacker said that the Gunners’ confidence has increased on the back of recent victories at Tottenham and Leicester City.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 6 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 9 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
- 10 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group
Wenger said he believed Arsenal was getting better with each passing week and that, in regards to last weekend’s win, he was “glad I did my job for the team and the fans”.
• Arsenal V Olympiacos, UEFA Champions League, Emirates Stadium, Tuesday September 29, 7.45pm