Aldwickbury Park amateur closes in on British Masters golf tournament
- Credit: Archant
A Harpenden golfer is one step closer to a round of a lifetime after she won through a regional final of the Bridgestone Chase Your Dream Trophy.
Julia Bashford from Aldwickbury Park Golf Club kept the dream alive by qualifying at The Bedford Golf Club.
She’ll now head to England Golf Week in August at Frilford Heath Golf Club in Oxfordshire for the national finals.
And should she be successful there she will go on to play in the pro-am of the Bridgestone Challenge.
It’s a journey which is already capturing the imaginations of thousands of amateur golfers in clubs affiliated to England Golf, just as it did in its inaugural year 12 months ago.
Last year, the three overall winners partnered Ryder Cup hero Nicolas Colsaerts at the pro-am of the British Masters supported by Sky Sports.
Bashford, who scored a net 77 in qualifying on the Bedfordshire course, was thrilled to go into the next round.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 10 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
She said: “I played at Bedford three years ago for fun. I never expected to be celebrating a tournament win here.
“It was a tough round with slow greens but it really is a lovely course to play.”
But the 13 handicapper, who learnt to play golf in an intensive crash course with a friend, has already turned her thoughts towards the British Masters.
“It really is in my wildest dreams to get to Walton Heath and play in the Masters,” she said. “In my head, I’m already there.
“But I know I’ve got to take each round one step at a time and see where this journey takes me.”
Bridgestone’s consumer sales and marketing director, Farrell Dolan said: “Julia has done fantastically to qualify for the next round amongst a field of fantastic golfers.
“She’ll continue to chase her dream of playing at the British Masters.
“Our Chase Your Dream Trophy has captured the imaginations of many, many golfers. We want to build on our 2017 successes and create another competition that is etched in the diaries of English amateur players, including Julia.”
For more information about Bridgestone and its Chase Your Dream concept, visit www.nomatterwhat.uk.com