Ahsan Ali bowls OAs into second spot
A superb bowling display from Ahsan Ali ensured Old Albanians moved up to second place in the league after an 81-run win over WGC 2nds.
Ali took four wickets while offering up very few scoring opportunities. In fact, his 15 overs, nine of which were maidens, went for just 14 runs as WGC managed just 120 in reply to OAs’ 201.
After electing to bat first, Alex Goldstone got OAs off to a strong start, putting on partnerships of 37, 23 and 26 with Tom Lincoln (14), Alf Rehman (11) and Zahid Khan (16) respectively.
The best pairing of the innings was Goldstone and Zahid Karim as they put on 61 runs for the fourth wicket, taking OAs from 89-3 to 150-4.
OAs then lost four quick wickets, including Goldstone (74), but late hitting from Ali (27) saw them post 201-9 before declaring in the penultimate over.
You may also want to watch:
The decision proved to be crucial, as it added one more over to WGC’s innings. And it was in the extra over that OAs made the final breakthrough.
Having reduced WGC to 111-9, Mozammal Hayat completed a three wicket haul to win the game.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 5 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 6 Green light given to new hospital project
- 7 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 8 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 Area Guide: The popular Highfield area of St Albans