Ahmed takes five wickets against Hemel
Nasser Ahmed tore through Hemel Hempstead’s batting line-up as Old Albanians defended a below-par total to secure an opening day win.
Having been put in to bat, OAs’ innings got off to a bad start as Alf Rehman (12), Joe Regan (7) and Sagir Ahmed (1) were dismissed with the score on 26.
The middle order, however, were more resistant and knocks by Jack Reynolds (25), Zahid Khan (29), Chris Dobson (26) and Zahid Karim (22*) saw OAs post a total of 145 from 50 overs.
Defending a score that was 20 runs short of expected, the bowling attack was insatiable.
Led by Ahmed (5-15), who bowled an immaculate 14-over spell, OAs had Hemel teetering on the brink at 29-7.
You may also want to watch:
Mozammel Hayat (2-16) was the man to push them into the abyss, dismissing the last two batsmen to secure an 81-run win in the 33rd over.
Sagir Ahmed was the other wicket taking, picking up three scalps for 21 runs in 10 overs.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Shortages crisis hits district
- 3 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 4 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 Neighbouring councils reject Bowmans Cross development
- 9 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25