Ahmed takes five wickets against Hemel
Nasser Ahmed tore through Hemel Hempstead’s batting line-up as Old Albanians defended a below-par total to secure an opening day win.
Having been put in to bat, OAs’ innings got off to a bad start as Alf Rehman (12), Joe Regan (7) and Sagir Ahmed (1) were dismissed with the score on 26.
The middle order, however, were more resistant and knocks by Jack Reynolds (25), Zahid Khan (29), Chris Dobson (26) and Zahid Karim (22*) saw OAs post a total of 145 from 50 overs.
Defending a score that was 20 runs short of expected, the bowling attack was insatiable.
Led by Ahmed (5-15), who bowled an immaculate 14-over spell, OAs had Hemel teetering on the brink at 29-7.
Mozammel Hayat (2-16) was the man to push them into the abyss, dismissing the last two batsmen to secure an 81-run win in the 33rd over.
Sagir Ahmed was the other wicket taking, picking up three scalps for 21 runs in 10 overs.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 4 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 5 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 6 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 7 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival