Absalom efforts can't save Harps as Ahmed leads Redbourn to victory
Division Seven Harpenden IV 186-8 (53) Redbourn II 187-7 (43.4) IN Division Seven, Redbourn IIs bounced back to form thanks to a swash buckling innings from Faiz Ahmed to defeat Harpenden IVs.
Harpenden IV 186-8 (53) Redbourn II 187-7 (43.4)
IN Division Seven, Redbourn IIs bounced back to form thanks to a swash buckling innings from Faiz Ahmed to defeat Harpenden IVs.
Visitors Harpenden fell to 14-3 when opening bowlers Ahmed (1 for 28) and Michael Dobson (3 for 42) struck. Further wickets for Benfield and Cridland reduced Harps to 69 for 6.
The game was turned with a terrific innings from number eight batsmen James Absalom who scored 59 not out with Harpenden finishing 186 for 8 off 53 overs.
The Redbourn reply got off to disastrous start with opener Absalon having a golden game removing both Spiers and Bartlett for ducks leaving Redbourn 44 for 4. Just as in the first innings, as the ball got wet batting got easier and Michael Dobson (18) hit some fine shots.
- 1 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 2 'Don't touch my hair!' - tackling hair discrimination against black youngsters
- 3 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 4 Property Spotlight: A striking modern apartment in St Albans
- 5 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 6 Red Door Recruitment share tips to help you land your dream job as they celebrate 15 years in business
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 9 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 10 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
At 80-6, Faiz Ahmed combined big boundary heaves with quick singles to scatter the field. Smyth (18) fell with 32 required but there was nothing Absalom (6 for 51) could do to stop Ahmed (75 not out) winning the game with support from Dan Darvell. Redbourn reached 187 for 7 to win.
Redbourn III completed a winning weekend for all three teams as they defeated Preston III by 55 runs at home in Division 13.
John Pritchard (39) and Dennis Gibbs (23) were the main contributors as Reds were bowled out for 120.
The small total grew as swing bowlers Simon Emmins (5-23) and James Lee (5-35) ripped through the Preston team bowling them out for 75 in 24 overs.
Bowling Michael Dobson 3-42
Batting Faiz Ahmed 75 not out
Batting James Absalom 59 not out
Bowling James Absalom 6-51
Batting John Pritchard 39
Bowling Simon Emmins 5-23, James Lee 5-35