Absalom efforts can't save Harps as Ahmed leads Redbourn to victory
Division Seven Harpenden IV 186-8 (53) Redbourn II 187-7 (43.4) IN Division Seven, Redbourn IIs bounced back to form thanks to a swash buckling innings from Faiz Ahmed to defeat Harpenden IVs.
Harpenden IV 186-8 (53) Redbourn II 187-7 (43.4)
IN Division Seven, Redbourn IIs bounced back to form thanks to a swash buckling innings from Faiz Ahmed to defeat Harpenden IVs.
Visitors Harpenden fell to 14-3 when opening bowlers Ahmed (1 for 28) and Michael Dobson (3 for 42) struck. Further wickets for Benfield and Cridland reduced Harps to 69 for 6.
You may also want to watch:
The game was turned with a terrific innings from number eight batsmen James Absalom who scored 59 not out with Harpenden finishing 186 for 8 off 53 overs.
The Redbourn reply got off to disastrous start with opener Absalon having a golden game removing both Spiers and Bartlett for ducks leaving Redbourn 44 for 4. Just as in the first innings, as the ball got wet batting got easier and Michael Dobson (18) hit some fine shots.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 7 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
At 80-6, Faiz Ahmed combined big boundary heaves with quick singles to scatter the field. Smyth (18) fell with 32 required but there was nothing Absalom (6 for 51) could do to stop Ahmed (75 not out) winning the game with support from Dan Darvell. Redbourn reached 187 for 7 to win.
Redbourn III completed a winning weekend for all three teams as they defeated Preston III by 55 runs at home in Division 13.
John Pritchard (39) and Dennis Gibbs (23) were the main contributors as Reds were bowled out for 120.
The small total grew as swing bowlers Simon Emmins (5-23) and James Lee (5-35) ripped through the Preston team bowling them out for 75 in 24 overs.
Bowling Michael Dobson 3-42
Batting Faiz Ahmed 75 not out
Batting James Absalom 59 not out
Bowling James Absalom 6-51
Batting John Pritchard 39
Bowling Simon Emmins 5-23, James Lee 5-35