268 mile ultra-marathon a walk in the park for St Albans Strider
- Credit: Archant
Anna Buckingham was joint-first female in The Spine race, a race which takes competitors along the entire length of the Pennine Way, from Edale in the Derbyshire Peak District to Kirk Yetholm in the Scottish Borders.
She had attempted the race last year but had to pull out around halfway.
However, this year she returned and crossed the line with Zoe Thornburgh in 166 hours and 38 minutes, placing her among just 24 people to complete the whole course.
Ben Scott and Andrew Maher also competed in an ultra-marathon, finishing the 45-mile Country to Capital run between Wendover in Buckinghamshire to Paddington, London.
Scott crossed the line in a time of 9 hours 34 minutes with Maher just four minutes behind.
Wai Meng Au-Yeong completed the Jeskyns Challenge Marathon in Gravesend in 6:35.
Closer to home, 16 women and 22 men from the club took part in the latest Chiltern League Cross Country fixture in Luton on Saturday.
- 1 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 2 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 3 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 4 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 5 10 reasons to visit this sustainable, family-owned farm shop in St Albans
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 What next for Alban Arena and city centre culture?
- 8 St Albans Striders shine at Summer Solstice 10k
- 9 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
- 10 Fight to save village Green Belt from development
Leading the ladies’ scoring team were Lucy Waterlow, Jen Conway and Wendy Walsh.
Tom Crouch and Paul Adams were once again the two fastest men from the club, finishing in seventh and eighth respectively.
A number of keen runners from the club returned in Sunday for the Sunday League XC race in Watford’s Cassiobury Park in snowy conditions.
St Albans park run celebrated its fourth anniversary in Verulamium Park on Saturday with several Striders among the 439-strong field.
Michele Besio was first finisher in 17:38 on the off-road course, followed by fast-improving Ashley High in third with 18:37. Claire Kremer was second female in a time of 20:18.
St Albans Striders is a welcoming local club catering for all types of runners, meeting at 7pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays by the Westminster Lodge athletics track building.
More information can be found at www.stalbansstriders.com