St Albans City remain in the National League South play-off places despite a second successive defeat.

Like the game at home to Truro City last week, this one was 2-1 as well, coming away to Aveley who are now just one place behind them in the table.

Shaun Jeffers had put them in front with a penalty early in the second half but the Essex side fought back with Ikechi Eze and Razzaq Coleman De-Graft scoring in the space of five minutes midway through the half.

Saints ladies though picked up a potentially vital success, the 1-0 win over AFC Dunstable seemingly set to maintain their Eastern Region Premier Division status and send the Bedfordshire side down instead.

Dunstable do have three games in hand but Becky Shephard's goal means City have a seven point cushion.

Herts Advertiser: Harpenden Town ladies beat Thetford Town at Rothamsted Park. Picture: HTFCHarpenden Town ladies beat Thetford Town at Rothamsted Park. Picture: HTFC (Image: Harpenden Town Football Club)

Harpenden Town are still fighting to join them after a 5-2 home win over Thetford Town in Division One North.

They are three points behind leaders Dussindale & Hellesdon Rovers but do have a game in hand.

Four of the goals came in the first half as Harps burst out of the blocks.

Rebecca McShane and Erin Shacklock combined after just two minutes to allow Natalie Cloy to make it 1-0 and it was two before 20 minutes were up, McShane's neat pass allowing Sophia Amanor to hold off a defender and shoot low.

She got the third too, Chloe Dinsey with the assist on this one, and after McShane had twice gone close, the midfielder set up Amanor for her hat-trick.

Thetford keeper Amber Browne made a couple of superb saves before half-time but was powerless to prevent Amanor for getting her fourth four minutes into the second half.

Goal difference could be crucial come the end of the season and unfortunately Harpenden took their foot off the gas and conceded two, meaning they are four goals in deficit to their rivals now.

Harpenden's men drew 1-1 at home to Baldock Town in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division, missing the opportunity to move into the play-off positions.

In the end, they were probably grateful of the point, Archie Locke equalising in the last 10 minutes.

Town's U18s played Luton Town Cedars in the Southern Counties Floodlit League Nemean Division, and they recorded a superb 5-1 win.

Luton took the lead early on through Henry Bunting but by half-time, Harpenden were 2-1 in front courtesy of a Keigan Elliott header and Inaki Garcia.

The second period saw Harps stretch clear with Josh Gavin, Jeremie Keya and Max Hill all scoring.

Colney Heath's men lost 2-0 to Aylesbury Vale Dynamos in the SSML Premier Division, Jamie Fulton's early dismissal proving crucial, but the U16s recorded a 4-2 home win over Knebworth.

Jim Davies, Luke Dunton, Oscar Dunne and L.Yasin all scored.

The U15 EJAs fought back from two down to win 5-3 at Walthamstow.

Man of the match Oscar Roe got a brace, as did Justin Chikontwe, while Daniel Thomas got his 16th of the season.

There was only the one game for St Albans Primary Schools, the Blues hosting Bexley in the Geoff Richards Memorial League on the superb artificial surface at Beaumont School.

Bexley had dominated the game earlier in the season, winning 4-2, but the Blues were determined to do better in this one.

It was 0-0 at half-time and after Bexley took the lead, the Blues replied in style through top scorer Trey Joseph.