The Herts Senior Cup provided some solace for St Albans City after they were beaten at home in the National League South.

City beat Stevenage U18s 5-2 at home in the quarter-final of the county competition to set up a semi-final clash against Hertford Town.

It followed a disappointing 2-1 defeat at Clarence Park against relegation-fighting Truro City on Saturday, Zane Banton's late consolation not nearly enough.

That means Saints are seventh and in the final play-off place with eight games to go.

Mitchell Weiss and Romeo Akinola each got two against Boro's kids with Olu Lawal getting the other. 

City's ladies also lost 2-1 in Eastern Region Premier Division to Real Bedford, leaving them just above the bottom two.

Becky Shephard got their only goal.

Herts Advertiser: Sophia Amanor scored all three for Harpenden Town against Stevenage. Picture: HTFCSophia Amanor scored all three for Harpenden Town against Stevenage. Picture: HTFC (Image: Harpenden Town Football Club)

Harpenden Town's hopes of reaching the ERWFL top flight took a blow as they were held to a 3-3 draw by Stevenage Res in Division One North.

The result leaves them three points behind leaders Dussindale & Hellesdon Rovers, although they do have a game in hand and need to make up five goals.

Harps had taken the lead in the match played at the Herts Sports Village, Jaime Curtain crossing  for Sophia Amanor to pick her spot on 10 minutes.

Five minutes later it became 2-0, Belle Shannon this time playing provider for the league's top scorer to cut in and drill a shot off the underside of the crossbar.

Ella Mercer pulled one back for Stevenage before half-time and she then equalised in the first minute of the second period with a cross-cum-shot over the head of Sophie Harris.

Shannon hit the post for Harpenden before Amanor completed her hat-trick on the hour, latching onto a pass threaded through by Chloe Dinsey.

Mercer though bagged her third with a tremendous free-kick into the top left hand corner and both sides had chances late on.

The best of them fell to Harpenden but Lucie Kirby just couldn't turn in a Shannon free-kick at the far post.

Harpenden's men suffered a blow in their Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division play-off charge, losing 3-1 at Biggleswade United.

Archie McClelland got the only goal to leave them one place and point outside of the top five although having played two games more.

Colney Heath's senior men's team did not play on Saturday but they did on Tuesday, winning 3-1 at home to Stansted with second-half goals from George Sippetts, George Hughes and 16-year-old Francesco Tortora.

Two other Heath teams were celebrating after reaching finals.

The ladies won 4-0 away to Garston Mets to reach the Chris Renshaw Cup final, the goals coming from Sheree Oliver, Molly Slade, Caroline Pennifold and Holly Jury.

The other winners were the U15 EJA side who won 3-2 at Ickenham Reds in the Middlesex County Cup.

Luke Wools, Daniel Thomas and Karrell Bafoe got the goals for the young Magpies.

The only game of the day for St Albans Primary Schools produced a fantastic victory for the Yellows in their Southern Counties League match away to Woking.

A slow start and an outstanding goalkeeping display by the Woking number one, looked like frustrating the boys.

However, they showed immense character and determination to come away with a 6-0 win, with goalkeeper Josh Cordery a virtual spectator in the second half.

Buddy Beeby, Eden Kosh, Sam Hodgkinson and Finlay Holian all scored with Evan Tolley adding a brace.