Colney Heath were brought quickly down to earth after one of their biggest victories in the club's history.

The Magpies had seen off National League South Hemel Hempstead Town in a thrilling Herts Senior Cup tie at the Tudors' Vauxhall Road, winning on penalties after a 2-2 draw.

Ollie Lawford, George Sippetts, Billy Owen and Jordan Kinoshi all scored from 12 yards in the shoot-out while crucially only Erald Desa and Myles Judd scored for Hemel, Brad Roberts and Alfie Matthews both missing.

The Magpies had taken the lead on 12 minutes when a run into the box by Billy Owen was stopped unfairly by Judd.

Sippetts did the rest to beat James Taylor and put Heath 1-0 up.

The advantage didn't last long though, just two minutes in fact, as a poor clearance by Connor Sansom was pounced on by Kaylen Hinds.

Both teams had chances after this, Sippetts and Sam Ejjayha going closest for the Magpies, but it was Hemel who went into the break in front, Kombe Kawimbe scoring from close range in stoppage time.

Colney give it a good go in the second half as they looked to get back on level terms.

It appeared they would be left frustrated but just three minutes from the end of normal time, they found the breakthrough.

Owen worked hard down the right wing to win a corner kick and when that was drilled low across the edge of the six yard box, Owen was there to sweep home an equaliser.

Amazingly there was still time for Hemel to hit the bar, the post and miss an open goal before Colney had their moment of glory in the shoot-out.

But fast forward four days and the Magpies found themselves frustrated in front of goal with Aylesbury Vale Dynamos winning 2-0 at the Recreation Ground in Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division.

The difference was that the visitors took what few chances came their way and Heath, despite having more attempts, couldn't score.

In the first period, Sippetts headed over and then had a shot blocked while Ejjayha fired wide and Ibrahim Camara had a chance saved by Oscar Cole.

The closest they came was a shot from Owen that bounced off the underside of the bar and then off the inside of the post before being cleared.

The second period was more of the same.

Sippetts was twice off target in the early going and a Kai Thomas-Fraser effort was cleared at the back post.

So it was against the run of play when the Dynamos took the lead, breaking away when all the Colney Heath players pushed up for a free-kick

Curtis Brown got it after going round the stranded Connor Sansom.

The second came after the Magpies gave the ball away, Abu Khan applying the finishing touch to this counter attack.


More chances came for Colney but with no improvement in the outcomes.

There was better news though for other Colney teams.

The reserves won 4-3 way to Everett Rovers in the Herts Senior County League Premier Division, keeping them 10th.

Khalil Simmons got two with Jack McShane and Sam O'Hare the others.

The ladies enjoyed a 4-0 win at AFC Dunstable Res in the Beds & Herts Premier Division, keeping them top of the pile.

They are five points clear of Garston in second but have played two games more.

Jael Muzzi got two this time with Cally Salter and Caroline Pennifold also on target.