Colney Heath will wonder how the were unable to keep their run of good form going after falling to defeat at home to Dunstable Town.

The Magpies had arrived at the Recreation Ground for the Spartan South Midlands Premier Division game having won five of the previous six league matches.

But they ended up losing 1-0 as the visitors converted a penalty in the second half.

Ollie Lawford and George Sippetts were off target with a couple of early home attempts but Jack Kimber did force a save out of Dunstable's former Harpenden Town goalkeeper, Alex Desmond. 

The visitors' best chance of the first half was free-kick from Harry Beaumont that fizzed over the top but while Colney did have chances, they were unable to take them as Kimber fired over and Desmond saved from Sippetts.

Sippetts had the first chance of the second period with a well-struck shot that was saved by Desmond.

Substitute James Samways was also denied by the keeper and Ethan Creary headed over at the end.

Play was going back and forth but there was a feeling that neither team were going to be able to break the deadlock.

Out of the blue though Dunstable were awarded penalty, given by the match referee after a long chat with his assistant who seemed to be against the decision.

He was overruled though and Joe Sellers-West put the effort into the bottom left corner to give Dunstable Town a 1-0 lead. 

Post that setback, Heath put plenty of pressure on Town's back line and won a succession of corners that once again saw goalkeeper Connor Sansom arrive and try and add to his goal from earlier this season.

He was unable to get a firm header on any of these and Heath headed off feeling hard done by.

Harpenden Town enjoyed a 2-1 win though away to Baldock Town, two first-half James Ewington goals proving enough to leave them sixth and five points off the play-off race. 

A disputed penalty was also at the heart of Harpenden ladies' grumbles after what could be a pivotal defeat in Eastern Region Division One North.

This time it was a kick that was not given that vexed the squad, with the 3-2 defeat at Dussindale & Hellesdon Rovers dropping them off the top spot and one point below their Norwich-based hosts.

The decisive moment came in the closing stages as Sophia Amanor and went down under a challenge from behind.

That didn't move the referee and the game finished moments late to the delight of the hosts.

Harpenden had arrived late from their journey but that didn't stop them from going in front on six minutes.

Amanor had been brought down out on the right wing and when Belle Shannon floated the free-kick into the box, it caused mayhem.

Harpenden skipper Rebecca Dowdall knocked the ball towards goal and it looked to be going in before Amanor made sure with a stooping header.

Jamie Curtain then hit the post from a Mel Jones corner and Shannon's cheeky backheel was saved on the line by keeper Tyla Cole.

But the next goal belonged to the home side, Rosie George beating Sophie Harris with a low drive,

Victoria Leyer then lobbed the Harpenden keeper from 40 yards to put D&H in front and the home side had a third before half-time, Leyer sent clear and calmly beating Harris.

They almost had a fourth at the start of the second half but hit the top of the bar but that stirred something in Harpenden who hit back with a shot of their own off the woodwork, Amanor beating Cole but not the post.

The hotshot then had an attempt blocked before a Hannah Pope drive was saved by Cole.

Harpenden did make their pressure count late on, Rebecca McShane and Natalie Cloy heavily involved before getting the ball to Amanor.

She held off her marker and beat Cole from six yards but the late pressure and the penalty shout all went unrewarded and Harpenden left with huge disappointment.

St Albans & District Primary Schools had two games with the U11 Yellows hosting Lewisham in a double header for the Southern Counties Cup and London Crisp Shield.

A slow start to the game by the Saints saw Lewisham take control and dominate possession but after 20 mins the Yellows' centre-midfield partnership of Kosh and Hawkes got hold of the game.

Both scored and another from Duncan gave the 3-0 half-time score a more relaxed feel.

The second half started as the first half had done but a well worked individual goal from Mendez-Barral calmed everything down.

Lewisham’s quick interplay was always going to cause problems and they did grab a consolation goal on the break as Yellows went searching for more.

However, the 4-1 win means they move on to play Barking & Dagenham in the Southern Counties Cup and Newham in the London Crisp Shield.

The girls travelled down the M4 to play a strong Wokingham side in the Southern Counties League and despite a truly valiant effort, they were beaten 7-0 but with plenty of positives to take from the game.