George Sippetts pulled off a 'Gazza' to give Colney Heath a dramatic victory at home to Tring Athletic.

The Magpies had trailed 1-0 at half-time but Sippetts equalised from the penalty spot just past the hour to set up a frantic finale.

And with time almost up in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division, he brought memories of Euro 96 flooding back with a stupendous goal.

Just like Paul Gascoigne had done against Scotland at Wembley, Sippetts latched on to a Kai Thomas-Fraser ball forward, flicked it over the defender's head and then thumped it beyond the keeper for a 2-1 win.

It capped a superb display from the young striker who took his tally since returning to the Recreation Ground from Cockfosters up to five

The Mags felt they should have had two penalties in the first half, both for infringements against Sippetts. Neither were given and the second one saw the forward booked for diving.

Tring goalkeeper Vicente Luciani also had to make two good saves, first denying a Sippetts header and then a Jack McShane effort.

The visitors took the lead in the moments leading up to half-time after a quick break, 16-year-old Jonah Howgego getting it.

Luciani produced a fine save from Brad Dixon-Smith to prevent an immediate equaliser while in the opening minutes of the second half, McShane brushed the outside of the post with a shot.

A few minutes later the striker had to clear one off his own line from Harry Shepherd while Connor Sansom save from Howgego.

The equalising penalty came on 61 minutes when Dixon-Smith was brought down and then the sides traded chances.

Shepherd went close for Tring while Jamie Lunniss tried his luck for Colney.

Max Hercules thought he had scored when he beat Sansom but Micky Shuttlewood made a fabulous goal-line clearance.

It looked like it needed something special to win it and Sippetts did just that.

A good day was completed for Colney Heath when the reserves won 4-2 at Lemsford in the Herts Senior County League Premier Division.

Francesco Tortura scored twice with one each from Jack Child and Khalil Simmons.

Harpenden Town won 3-2 in the SSML Premier Division match at home to London Lions.

It took their improved to four league games without defeat, lifting them to seventh in the table and with at least one game in hand on all the sides above them.

James Ewington’s seventh goal of the season got Harpenden off to a flying start after just five minutes, despite protests from the Lions players that it should have been ruled out for offside.

Harps could have doubled their lead shortly afterwards but Hadley Gleeson, playing in a more central role than usual, had his shot saved by the Lions keeper.

At the other end, 17-year-old goalkeeper Matt Burch, who was making his home league debut for Harpenden, tipped a looping shot over the bar.

That was the first of several smart stops by the youngster, who was stepping up from the U18s.

The next came on the half-hour mark when he saved low down to his left after a neat Lions move and shot.

A spell of pressure from the visitors finally paid off after 33 minutes when the ball broke for Max Kyte to curl it beyond Burch.

Another reaction save from Burch kept the scores level at the break after a fiery end to the half.

Substitutions helped pull the momentum towards Harpenden in the second half and they regained the lead on the hour, sub Isaiah Hilaire cutting the ball back for Harry Andic to fire home.

Ewington almost made it 3-1 shortly afterwards while Reece Crowter had a shot saved when he might have squared to Ewington, who was unmarked in the middle.

The Lions caused a scare in the 87th minute when a dangerous corner needed a decisive clearance.

But Harpenden pushed forward looking for the goal to make the game safe and after Andic hit the top of the bar, Crowter got a debut goal four minutes into stoppage time.

There was still time for the Lions to set up a grandstand finish when Ezra Aaron scored with a fine strike but Harpenden held on to secure three points.

Harpenden host leaders Real Bedford on Saturday.

Herts Advertiser: Harpenden Town ladies won in the ERWFL League Cup. Picture: HTFCHarpenden Town ladies won in the ERWFL League Cup. Picture: HTFC (Image: Harpenden Town Football Club)

Town's women moved into the next round of the Eastern Region League Cup thanks to a 3-1 win away to Wodson Park.

All the goals came in the second half when there was also a missed penalty for the home side.


Star striker Sophia Amanor was only fit enough for the bench so it meant Belle Shannon was up front, providing the threat.


And after a opening period when both sides created plenty of half chances, it was Shannon who opened the scoring six minutes into the second half.

Jamie Curtain made a dazzling run down the right and her cross was fired home low from just inside the box.

Shannon nearly added a second goal but this time her effort just flew too high and moments later Wodson were level, Sophie Vale's shot taking a deflection and looping over the head of Sophie Harris.

Amanor had arrived at half-time and she was able to put Harpenden back in front on 71 minutes, controlling and firing a free-kick delivered to her by Chloe Dinsey beyond Wodson keeper Amy Martin.

The third came with 10 minutes to go.

Rebecca McShane picked up the ball 30 yards out and although Martin was able to block that shot from distance, Curtain pounced on the rebound to end the game.

Handball in the last minute gave the home side late hope but Vale's spot-kick was expertly saved by Harris, with the rebound blasted over the top.

The St Albans Primary Schools district side had a full weekend of games.

They won 4-1 away to Embridge/Runnymede in the Girls National Cup, a dominant performance and goals from Dibbs, Henriksen and Taylor (two) sending them into the last 16 for the first ever time.

The Shires Cup saw the Yellows beaten on penalties by Reigate/Banstead.

The sides had drawn 3-3 in normal time with goals from Duncan (two) and Tolley but Saints lost 4-3 in the shoot-out.

There were two representative games too.

The U10s drew 0-0 with Brent, with goalkeeper Albie Trollope in excellent form, while the Blues won 4-2 against Brent B with Brierley (two), Joseph and Ellis the scorers.

Jack Griffiths was arguably their standout player though.