Harpenden Town moved second in Division One North of the Eastern Region Women's Football League thanks to victory over Stevenage Res.

It looked to be one-way traffic in the early going but after racing into a 3-0 lead, Harpenden had to be thankful for a 4-2 success.

They are now one point behind leaders Dunssindale & Hellesdon Rovers having both played five games.

The three early goals came in the space of just eight minutes, with all three scored by hotshot Sophia Amanor.

She got things going on 11 minutes after a through ball from Natalie Cloy, holding off a challenge and firing low past Mia O'Brien, and then she doubled the lead three minutes later.

This time she blocked an attempted clearance by O'Brien just inside the box, allowing her to simply walk the ball into the empty net.

O'Brien redeemed herself moments later with a fantastic save from a Louisa Ransom shot, tipping it over the bar.

However, it was from Rebecca McShane's corner that Amanor completed her rapid treble, pouncing when Cloy had a shot blocked.

But Stevenage responded and after Iva Hrisimova had stopped them with a well-timed challenge, Stephanie Fausse cut in from the left and fired beyond Jasmine Hughes.

The Harps' keeper won the next battle against Fausse but was beaten for the second time when Imogen Lightning produced a thunderbolt of a shot that flew over Hughes' head.

Harpenden created plenty of chances in the the second half as they looked to nip Stevenage's fightback in the bud.

Amanor had a couple of shots saved and McShane fired a long-distance effort wide.

They did put the ball into the net but Cloy's effort was ruled out for offside.

However, it did become 4-2 not long after.

Ransom made a dazzling run down the right wing and squared it perfectly for Hrisimova to tap home from five yards.

Reese Ayres nearly added another goal with an effort that beat O'Brien but the ball struck the post and bounced back out.

Another McShane corner almost crept in until O'Brien's fists got it away and then Cloy was again cruelly denied, this time after a shot hit the underside of the crossbar and bounced down and out.

Jaime Curtain then had a couple of chances which went close while Dani Ransom had a shot go just wide of the far post.

Chloe Dinsey and Hrisimova had the final attempts but both went just over the bar.

Erin Shacklock was named as player of the match for Harpenden while Stevenage's top player award went to Ella Mercer.

Colney Heath Ladies meanwhile were away to Everett Rovers in the first round of the Herts FA Women's Trophy and had a thumping 11-0 win.

Cally Salter and Mia Simmonds both hit hat-tricks while there was a double for Olivia Corbett.

Amy Phillips, Laura Gifford and Lacey Kavanagh-Blake each got one.

They will now go to Hartham United in round two on November 19.