Harpenden Town had the most glorious of homecomings - as they romped to victory over Dunstable Town.

Harps have played 19 away games in a row, their last match at Rothamsted Park coming on March 7 when they drew 1-1 with Tring Athletic.

In their absence, their home was transformed with a new artificial surface and terracing.

And under blazing sunshine, they secured a 4-0 success over Dunstable Town in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division, courtesy of two goals from James Ewington and one each for Hadley Gleeson and Spencer O'Leary.

Manager Micky Nathan said: "To have 427 people in attendance, for a club like Harpenden Town, that's absolutely massive.

"It speaks volumes for how much the club and committe have done with this place.

"And we were superb, man for man, from start to finish, the keeper to the subs, they were spot on.

"We got everything right.

"We'd prepped and planned, we knew what they would play like and how aggressive they would play.

"We matched that and we were outstanding."

The game itself started off with a Dunstable Town header that sailed over the bar, writes Oliver Talbot.

The visitors kept the pressure on as they made Harps defend some set pieces well but moments later, Harps opened the scoring.

And it was some way to mark the occasion.

Gleeson latched delicately on to a lofted through ball before powerfully smashing the ball back across the goal with a wonderful first touch and finish.

Gleeson showed some superb skills and touches in the first half to keep the big crowd truly entertained but it was old favourite Ewington who added the second late in the half.

The former Colney Heath youngster was the provider though, flicking the ball through for Ewington to lob the keeper.

The start of the second half had a similar look to it.

Ewington intercepted a back pass before going round the keeper and clipping the ball into the far corner for a 3-0 lead.

He had a chance for the hat-trick, putting a shot over the bar, but it was O'Leary who rounded off the scoring, calmly passing the ball into the net with a side-foot finish.

Colney Heath picked up a 1-0 win away to Cockfosters.

The battle of the Burns brothers, Tommy is the assistant manager of the Magpies while twin Ant is a coach at Cockfosters, was decided courtesy of another Billy Owen strike, writes Terry Edwards.

Colney Heath started brightly with Dominic Knaggs, making his 100th appearance for the club putting over some good crosses from the right that Ollie Lawford and Owen just failed to connect with.

One of the many ex-Mags on the Cockfisters squad, George Sippetts, shot just wide of the near post in their first real attempt but Heath were having the better of the exchanges.

Ibrahim Camara had a low shot saved by Charlie Mann, another former Magpie, as did Ollie Lawford whose effort was well struck from just inside the box.

Connor Sansom was also called into action to deny George Lutaaya and Sippetts and both keepers remained unbreached by half-time.

The second half carried on like the first with both sides trying to create that one big chance.

Knaggs, who was having a great game pushing forward, sent over an excellent free-kick that ended with a Lawford shot being blocked while at the other end Prince Madu fired wide.

The Magpies were then reduced to 10 men as Jordan Kinoshi was sent to the sin-bin and Cockfosters stepped up the pressure in that period.

Sippetts and Ethan Rookard both shot wide but when Kinoshi returned, it was Colney Heath who got what turned out to be the winner.

Kinoshi was the instigator with his run and shot from the right-hand side being blocked.

However, it ran loose to Owen and he tucked the ball into the corner for 1-0.

Cockfosters nearly hit back straight away but Sansom produced an excellent save with his leg from Sippetts.

He was in action again to deny Daniel Lodovica, tipping the ball over in style to maintain his clean sheet.

And Kinoshi could have sealed it for Heath in the final seconds but after breaking through and beating Mann to the ball, his effort clipped the far post and went behind.


The results leaves Harpenden seventh in the table, four points behind leaders Biggleswade United but having played two games less.

Colney Heath are a place below them, one point behind but having also played six games.

Both teams are in action on Tuesday night, both at home.

Harpenden host Potton United while Colney Heath are visited by FC Romania.

Colney Heath Res meanwhile also enjoyed a 1-0 win, the prolific Jack McShane getting the only goal at home to Sandridge Rovers in the Herts Senior County League Premier Division.