Colney Heath produced some final day drama as victory at Potton United helped secure their escape from relegation.

The Magpies had gone into the day second from bottom in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division and were favourites to join neighbours London Colney in going down.

Their only certain escape route was victory for themselves while hoping Hoddesdon Town failed to win at Arlesey Town.

They did their bit with goals from Zenon Stylianides and Myles John ensuring a 2-1 success at The Hutchinson Hollow and they could start the party when it was revealed that Hoddesdon had lost 3-2 at New Lamb Meadow.

Heath had started brightly in Bedfordshire and a good ball from Hadley Gleeson had given Styliandes a first sight of goal.

That went over the top and then a mazy run from Gleeson was denied by Craig Foxall.

But it was just a matter of time and after being awarded a penalty on 24 minutes, Stylianides fired the Mags in front.

Six minutes later the advantage was doubled, Myles John with a screamer from 30 yards, but Potton brought the nerves back with a goal on the stroke of half-time, former Magpie David Parkinson getting it.

Liam Studley had to make a couple of fine saves to keep the lead intact while Styliandes and Connor Cullen both went close at the other end.

There was to be no more goals but with Arlesey claiming the victory, there was no need for more.

London Colney finish their season on Saturday at home to Crawley Green but their penultimate game ended in a 6-0 loss to Cockfosters.

Harpenden Town claimed a 1-0 win at Crawley in their final game, Bill Owen scoring on 88 minutes to leave them 11th in the table.

Herts Advertiser: Harpenden Town ladies lost 3-0 to rivals Wormley Rovers. Picture: HTFCHarpenden Town ladies lost 3-0 to rivals Wormley Rovers. Picture: HTFC (Image: Harpenden Town FC)

Their ladies had a difficult result against Wormley Rovers - their rivals for the Beds & Herts Premier Division title.

Harps remain top, two points ahead of Hertford but having played a game less and five ahead of Wormley, although Rovers have the game in hand here.

However, the 3-0 loss has given Wormley a sense they could snatch the championship, especially with the two sides meeting again on Thursday at Colney Heath.

This was Harpenden's first league defeat since September but they started brightly enough with Belle Shannon going close on a couple occasions.

Kerry Roberts then had a shot blocked following a good build up with Dani Ransom supplying the pass whilst at the other end saw Fahren Fraser hit a thunderous effort from 35 yards that bounced off the top of the crossbar and went over.

The first half ended 0-0 and Harpenden almost went in front in the opening minutes of the second period, Roberts with a header blocked on the line.

However, a quick break allowed Wormley to get the opening goal, Chelise Fleming nodded home, and a second sucker punch doubled the advantage, Fraser crossing for Niamh Gallagher to hammer home from close range.

A third incisive counter attack brought number three, Charis Howell scoring from the penalty that was awarded, sending it in off the bar.

Mel Jones nearly pulled a goal back with a free-kick that whistled just wide and the closest Harpenden came was an effort from Shannon that was pushed onto the upright by Serena Hand.