For Colney Heath it was an April Fool's Day gag where nobody was laughing - but for Harpenden Town it was like Christmas. 

Harps took the honours in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division derby, winning 3-0 at the Magpies' Recreation Ground. 

Jake Anthony scored twice, including a penalty, while Josh Rodrigues bagged the third that cemented their place in the middle of the pack. 

For Heath though, the threat of relegation remains very real.

Herts Advertiser: Hadley Gleeson (left) and Jake Anthony (right) exchange words. Picture: TOBY HOWEHadley Gleeson (left) and Jake Anthony (right) exchange words. Picture: TOBY HOWE (Image: Toby Howe)

Theo Costa had a chance to put the hosts in front early on as he got on the end of a Hadley Gleeson cross but Alex Desmond made a good stop. 

But with 10 minutes gone it was the visitors who took the lead, Anthony running onto an Ivan Machado pass to slip the ball beyond the advancing Tiernan Parker, making a return to the club. 

The sides traded opportunities, Jessie Armoo denied by Desmond while George Robinson's charge forward ended with a shot from a narrow angle going wide. 

The Harpenden full-back had to limp off shortly after but his replacement, Ben Cracknell, should have made it two after a mistake from Bradley Dixon-Smith. 

He blasted his effort wide of Parker's right-hand upright.

Herts Advertiser: Jake Anthony ducks under an attempted clearance. Picture: TOBY HOWEJake Anthony ducks under an attempted clearance. Picture: TOBY HOWE (Image: Toby Howe)

They did go 2-0 ahead though five minutes into the second half, Machado again with the assist, crossing for Anthony to score with a diving header. 

Ten minutes later it became 3-0 when a Josh Setchell cross was prodded home by Josh Rodrigues from six yards. 

That deflated the Magpies and although they did create some chances late on, there was never going to be a fightback.

Herts Advertiser: Josh Rodrigues celebrates his goal on his knees. Picture: TOBY HOWEJosh Rodrigues celebrates his goal on his knees. Picture: TOBY HOWE (Image: Toby Howe)

There was much better fortune for Colney Heath on Tuesday night when they grabbed a 2-2 draw at Dunstable Town. 

New signing Zenon Stylianides marked his debut with a brace as they twice fought back from a goal down. 

There were chances at the end too which would have gone in had it not been for excellent saves from Dunstable's Carl Knox. 

Their happiness was only tempered by news of a fightback from rivals Hoddesdon Town at Tring Athletic. 

They also managed a 2-2 draw but this time did so after being 2-0 down. 

The results mean Colney are fourth from bottom, one point ahead of Arlesey Town who drop into the bottom two, the pair still having five games to play. 

Hoddesdon have a game in hand on the two of them and sit in between, level on points with the Magpies. 

Harpenden Town's women are through to the final of the Beds & Herts League Cup after a thrilling penalty shoot-out win at Stotfold. 

Twice Harps had to come from behind before seemingly getting the edge. 

But, although Stotfold equalised late on, Harpenden kept their nerve and won 4-3 in the shoot-out, sending them to a clash with Colney Heath Res at Kempston Rovers. 

The game seemed to have started well with Cayleigh Jackson firing an effort into the side netting and then both Belle Shannon ad Jael Muzzi firing inches wide of the post. 

However, it was Stotfold who took the lead from a corner, Amy Jack curling the set-piece to the back post where Charlotte Ryan fired home. 

The lead did not last long though, Muzzi slipping the ball into Shannon to rocket an effort beyond Orla Daly. 

The crossbar prevented Dani Ransom from putting Harpenden in front before half-time but Stotfold had no such misfortune after the break, Amber Clark snapping up a poor back pass and beating Lauren Croucher-Wakefield. 

Hannah Pope then hit the post for Harpenden but they were able to equalise again shortly after, Ransom this time finding a spot in the top corner of the net. 

Shannon then set up Pope for her turn to have better luck, drilling it home from eight yards, and it seemed as if Harpenden had taken the spoils. 

But the final twist, a Charlie Peters header, sent the game to penalties. 

Harpenden missed their first effort but with Mel Jones, Shannon and Cally Salter all scoring, a Stotfold miss and a Croucher-Wakefield save left Pope to be the hero by slotting in the winner.