There is an old saying that football is a game of 90 minutes - that may need updated after Colney Heath found out to their cost that it is a bit longer these days.

Fighting to avoid the drop from the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division, the Magpies had worked themselves into a 1-0 lead at home to Shefford Town & Campton with less than 20 minutes remaining.

Herts Advertiser: Vlad Sighiartau scored but was then sent off for Colney Heath. Picture: TERRY EDWARDSVlad Sighiartau scored but was then sent off for Colney Heath. Picture: TERRY EDWARDS (Image: Terry Edwards)

Vlad Sighiartau had got the Colney goal not long before, holding off a couple of defenders before turning on the thrusters and burying the ball into the bottom corner.

However, a foul on the Magpie by Charlie Milton started a melee as the Shefford player refused to let go of the shirt, by this point up around the scruff of his neck.

As others ran in, Milton fell to the floor dramatically and the referee produced a red card for the goalscorer, and a yellow to the visitor.

That changed the dynamic of the game but with the 90 minutes up, Heath were still clinging onto their advantage.

However, a high ball into the box ended with keeper Liam Studley knocked off it and Henry Snee prodded in the equaliser.

Colney still felt they could get the three points but as everybody pushed forward for a free-kick, they were caught on the break and Sam Day blasted in a winner, depriving the Magpies of even a point.

They were definitely worthy of a point having created a number of chances in the first period.

Sighiartau had two of them, both of them saved by Reece Lewis in the Shefford goal, while Serge Erkarslan whistled an effort just over the bar.

They did have to withstand some Shefford pressure but the harsh lesson will be learning to see games out from winning positions, regardless of circumstances.

Harpenden Town meanwhile had a far different proposition when they went to promotion-chasing Stotfold, and a far different result.

The first half was tense, the wind impacting both sets of players, with each side also having a good defensive shape and battling for every ball.

But it was Harps who got the opening goal and early on too, Jake Anthony winning a penalty after a mazy run and then clambering back off the ground to stick it away.

Jake Collins played an important part too, winning the ball in the centre of the pitch, adding some control before making the pass to Anthony.

Much of the game was about determination and passion, something Nathan McGreevy showed by battling on until half-time after receiving a head injury.

Skipper Josh Rodrigues was a constant leader too, winning many duels to keep Harpenden on the front foot.

But that momentum took a major hit as two corners in quick succession went past Alex Desmond, both scored by Jack Bradshaw.

Collins headed narrowly wide but it was Stotfold who reached the break in front to leave Harps needing a comeback.

That began mere minutes after the restart.

Mickey Shuttlewood managed to get the ball through to James Younger and after he used his strength, he delivered an impressive ball into the danger area.

Two players made brilliant runs to receive the cross but it was Collins who finished well at the back post.

Harpenden also had the wind in their favour too and they threatened to create more scoring opportunities.

Stotfold aren't at the top for nothing though and they forced Desmond into a few fine saves.

And as Harpenden tired, the defensive effort had to be near perfect and it was.

Late corners for the hosts threatened danger but they passed leaving the away side very happy with their point.

London Colney's game against Baldock Town on Saturday was postponed as were the games involving the Blueboys, Magpies and Harps on Tuesday.