Harpenden Town have strengthened their grip at the top of the Beds & Herts Women's League Premier Division.

Their 3-2 win away to Hitchin Belles, coupled with Hertford Town's surprise 1-0 loss to Garston, means Harps are now five points clear of Wormley Rovers with six games remaining.

Hertford are now a further point adrift.

The game at Hitchin saw Harpenden concede of the first time in six matches but their forwards were in inspirational form.

Early pressure brought the opening goal. Mel Jones played a delightful lofted ball through to Belle Shannon and she cracked  shot over the head of the advancing keeper.

The Belles though got back on terms after both teams had created opportunities.

Marsha Glass put some pressure on the Harps back line after latching onto a long ball forward from Georgia Carey, and after winning the ball she created enough space to bury the ball into the bottom corner.

Cayleigh Jackson opened the second half with a shot for Harpenden that went close and then it was the turn of both Cally Salter and Shannon.

Jael Muzzi was causing problems after her introduction from the bench too, setting up  Danielle Ransom after a good run down the right.

That effort was saved but a few minutes later Muzzi went off another surge forward.

This time she beat two defenders before giving Hannah Pope the easiest of chances to make it 2-1.

Pope nearly scored again, the shot saved, but still Harpenden pressed and they got a deserved third, Muzzi this time getting the goal after great work by Rosie Makamian.

Hitchin responded immediately with Nicola Hollick heading home and that at least made it a nervy finish.

However, Harpenden held firm to take the three points.

Town's senior men lost 2-1 at Aylesbury Vale Dynamos in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division.

James Younger had deservedly headed them in front in the first half but the hosts fought back, grabbing the winner with 14 minutes to go and while they were down to 10 men.

Colney Heath had their massive relegation clash at Hoddesdon Town postponed after wet weather slammed the county on Saturday morning.

The two teams are just above the relegation places and a win for either would go a long way to securing their future in the division.

Lowfield though was deemed unplayable and the pair will try again on Tuesday.

In the absence of a first-team game, Colney Heath Res enjoyed a 3-1 win at home to Hinton in the Herts Senior County League Premier Division.

Two late goals did the damage for the Magpies who had led 1-0 at the break thanks to a John-Luca Flouri penalty following a foul on Rocco Tuffnell.

Hinton drew level early in the second half though, Adrian Antonio arriving at the back post to meet a Dean Phillips free-kick.

The second half saw Tuffnell have an effort ruled out for offside but although the game was swinging back and forth, the hosts would be rewarded for their efforts.

The second goal came from Flouri after a blocked shot from Tuffnell ran back to him and Heath soon made it three, Evan Napier this time with the delivery and Tuffnell with the finish.

Harvesters U18 girls warmed up for a county cup final appearance by winning another semi.

First-half goals from Hollie Thornton (two) and Katie Leigh, all assisted by Mia Pullan, gave them a 3-2 win at Letchworth Eagles in the Herts Girls Partnership Senior League Cup.