Waterlogged pitches put pay to many of the games in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division - but there was still a very good win for Harpenden Town.

Micky Nathan's men face a strange end to the season with their final 10 games all coming away from home, as Rothamsted Park goes through a transformation to an artificial surface.

The first of them was away to Arlesey Town and a solitary Ryan Plowright goal, his second in two games, was enough to give them a 1-0 win over the Blues.

They are now 10th in the table and go to Aylesbury Vale Dynamos on Saturday.

Colney Heath's trip to Dunstable Town on Saturday was one of the first games postponed but there was no issues with the surface on Tuesday as they headed inside the M25 to Cockfosters.

It was not to be a positive night for the Magpies as a solitary goal from former Magpie, George Sippetts, gave Fosters a 1-0 win.

The Magpies' next game will potentially have a huge say in the relegation battle as they face Hoddesdon Town at Lowfield.

The Lilywhites were just one point behind Colney going into their game with Shefford Town & Campton on Wednesday night, played after the Herts Ad went to press. 

Arlesey followed their loss to Harps with a 2-1 loss against Aylesbury Vale, meaning they are a further point adrift, although they still have a game in hand on their two rivals.

Harpenden Town stayed top of the Beds & Herts Women's League Premier Division after a 2-0 win away to Langford.

They are three clear of Hertford Town and five above Wormley Rovers, with all three having played 11 of their 18 scheduled games. 

They nearly got off to the perfect start when Belle Shannon sent Cally Salter away.

She stuck the shot well enough but Rebecca Reeves made a good save to keep the scores level.

The Langford keeper then denied Jael Muzzi, Salter, Scarlet Stanley and Shannon before Harpenden finally got the breakthrough.

Muzzi played the ball to Danielle Ransom and from the edge of the area, she calmly lobbed Reeves for 1-0.

It was more of the same in the second period too.

A diving header from Ransom was held by Reeves who also plucked another chipped shot from the same player out of the air.

Langford did create a chance of their own when Leah Holmes burst through but Lauren Croucher-Wakefield proved she was just as capable as her opposite number with a good stop.

But a second Harpenden goal was always more likely and it arrived when Stanley gave the ball to Hannah Pope.

She held off a few challenges before thumping a low drive into the corner to complete the scoring.


Colney Heath Res had a thrilling game at home to Royston Town Res in the Herts Senior County League Premier Division - the pair drawing 3-3.

The young Magpies found themselves a goal down after six minutes when Josh Fox headed home from a corner kick.

The home side responded though and were unfortunate not to draw level.

Karmel El-Maghur had a well-struck 20-yard drive saved low down by Oliver Williams and the keeper repeated the trick from the same player following a good ball from Christian Halmshaw.

He too had a header saved but they were hit by a sucker-punch and caught on the break, the Crows going 2-0 up thanks to a brilliant volley from Taylor Newman.

Colney Heath got rewarded for their pressure after the break though as El-Maghur scored with a header from a John-Luca Flouri corner.

He almost equalised with a blast that thundered off the crossbar but they would not be denied and after some neat passing, Jordan Dube scored with a composed finish.

The fightback looked to have been for naught when Fox got his second with five minutes to go but Dube ensured the sides would leave level.

However, there was almost one final twist in the tale as Ikenna Ezete struck the foot of the post for Royston from close range, the final whistle going moments later.