#1 seed knocks Arbuthnott out of French Open
- Credit: Archant
Batchwood player took two As Levels while out in Paris
Emily Arbuthnott is out of the French Open after losing in straight sets to the number one seed.
The 17-year-old lost 6-2, 6-0 to the Czech Republic’s Marketa Vondrousova in the third round at Roland Garros.
Arbuthnott beat Anastasia Gasanov 6-1, 7-7 (7-3) in the first round and then knocked the 15th seed, Julieta Lara Estable, of Argentina, out in the second.
The Batchwood Performance Centre product had more than just tennis to worry about during her time in Paris. Arbuthnott had to sit two As level exams in between matches.
You may also want to watch:
Batchwood’s head performance coach, Jon Meredith, said: “She showed guts and determination. She dealt with all the pressure of tennis and exams and did extremely well.”
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall