Top tips for keeping spiders out of your home
PUBLISHED: 12:43 03 October 2017 | UPDATED: 13:27 03 October 2017
This content is subject to copyright.
Spider season has arrived, and as our eight-legged friends move in many of us are feeling like moving out.
Such drastic measures may not be necessary, however, according to home warranty and insurance provider, NHBC, who have compiled a list of handy tips for dissuading spiders from moving in:
1. Fill a spray bottle with a mixture of roughly half water and half white vinegar. Avoiding varnished surfaces, spray the mixture in corners and cracks. Alternatively, as strong smells are believed to deter spiders, try mixing natural oils like peppermint, lavender, rose oil, tea-tree and cinnamon into spray bottles and follow the same method.
2. Seal off your home by filling cracks and crevices around doors and windows which spiders could crawl through.
3. Do you have cardboard boxes around? Spiders like these so, where possible, empty and dispose of them. Try to use plastic boxes as an alternative storage solution.
4. Plant mint, lavender or both underneath or near windows as the strong smells will deter spiders.
5. Spiders also dislike citrus, so rub peel from lemons or limes along skirting boards and window sills. You can also try lemon-scented cleaners and furniture polish.
6. It has been said that spiders hate garlic, so place crushed cloves into a spray bottle filled with water and spritz in corners, floors and skirting boards.
7. Dust and vacuum regularly to get rid of webs and declutter your house as much as possible to reduce the number of places a spider can hide.
Further advice for homeowners on property maintenance and other issues can be found on NHBC’s new homes website.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.