Youth café opens in Redbourn
- Credit: Photo supplied
A TWO-year project has culminated in the opening of a new café in Redbourn which is aimed solely at providing space for the village’s young people to relax and socialise.
The café was recently launched at Redbourn Recreation Centre, Dunstable Road, to give young locals a place to listen to music, chat and make smoothies on Friday evenings.
St Albans district Cllr Maxine Crawley and Redbourn parish Cllr Vivienne Windle initiated the project after teenagers told them they struggled to feel connected to Redbourn because of the lack of a local secondary school.
Cllr Crawley explained: “There was nowhere for teens to go and hang out.”
She and Cllr Windle took their idea, originally for a shake bar, to the Redbourn Youth Council, which supported the move.
You may also want to watch:
Local young people collaborated with both councillors and the youth council, giving advice on the design of their new space.
And the result is a venue which boasts a smoothie maker, audio equipment, bean bags and an Xbox. A youth worker manages the café, which is open every Friday from 7.30-10pm.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 6 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
Cllr Crawley said: “The teens love it. It’s a success story for Redbourn.”