Young St Albans band tackles fundraising with Relish
- Credit: Photo supplied
Talented - and kindhearted - musicians aged from eight to 18 recently composed the perfect way to raise funds for a charity which helps local families.
The Magician’s Nephew Band held their first two gigs near the Alban Arena, at Relish Real Burgers in the Civic Centre, and raised £150 for Home Start St Albans by selling about 100 badges emblazoned with their band logo.
The charity struck a chord with the boy band as one of its aims is to “help reduce chaos” among local families.
About 170 people turned up to the performances, prompting a spokesman to say: “It was a great atmosphere and the band was buzzing with energy and excitement.”
The group, named after C.S Lewis’ The Magician’s Nephew, The Chronicles of Narnia, is composed of St Albans boys Zac Pile (nine), Joshua (eight) and Noah Lima (10), Keeran Richardson and Euan Campbell, also 10 years old, and Watford teenagers Jesse (15) and Matthew Rist (18).
You may also want to watch:
They performed original songs including the singles Ice Cream and Super Heroes at Relish along with some Chuck Berry classics like Johnny B. Goode and Roll Over Beethoven.
Noah and Josh started writing their own songs about three years ago with their piano teacher Chris Saunders, who motivated them to tap into their ability.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 9 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 10 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
As a result the boys have now written 17 original songs and are in the process of recording their first album due to come out end of this year.
The gig at Relish provided the launch pad for Magician’s Nephew’s single Ice Cream which can be heard on YouTube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsJs5uksLjo
For more information on the band see www.magiciansnephewband.com