Young St Albans artists chart Stations of the Cross for exhibition
THE final hours in the life of Jesus before the Crucifixion have come to life at a St Albans school thanks to 14 talented artists. While some people have been giving up things for Lent, the 12 pupils and two teachers at Nicholas Breakspear Catholic School
THE final hours in the life of Jesus before the Crucifixion have come to life at a St Albans school thanks to 14 talented artists.
While some people have been giving up things for Lent, the 12 pupils and two teachers at Nicholas Breakspear Catholic School in Colney Heath Lane have been working extra hard.
They have spent their lunchtimes, evenings and weekends painting a Stations of the Cross art display for Easter which will eventually be hung permanently in the school foyer.
The Stations of the Cross are used as a catalyst for prayer and reflection and the 14 canvasses depict thought-provoking images created by the use of a mixture of oil paints, acrylics and watercolours.
In the first instance, the paintings will be displayed at SS Alban and Stephen Church in Beaconsfield Road which donated the canvasses before being returned to the school.
Anna Borrill, head of art, said: "We are very proud of Nicholas Breakspear's own Stations of the Cross. They are a really high-quality, stunning, individual piece of work. They will provide a focal point for worship and reflection within the school for years to come.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 4 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 7 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival