Young musical duo Purple Day win St Albans’ Got Talent
- Credit: Archant
Singing their way to victory, guitar duo Purple Day proved that St Albans’ Got Talent at the town hall on Friday, in front of over 100 supporters at the competition’s eagerly awaited finale.
The seven acts competing in the final have been battling through the contest since May, raising money for local charity Rennie Grove Hospice Care in the process.
The eventual winners, Zac and Josh Pile, battled their way to be crowned St Albans’ newest star performers, performing as duo Purple Day. The boys were competing against street dancers, a hula hooper and fellow singers in the final stages of the comeptition.
St Albans’ Got Talent organiser Martyn Dias said: “The evening was a great success. It was a pleasure introducing and interviewing the acts and I’m delighted for Purple Day.”
Four judges were on hand to choose the winner, along with the use of a ‘clap-o-meter’ which was used to determine the polularity of each act, measuring the volume of claps and cheers from the audience.
One judge was former Mayor Cllr Annie Brewster, who said: “I was delighted to be invitied onto the judging panel to witness such genuine talent within our city and district. Saturday night televised competitions have nothing on this great live St Albans event and I am sure it will grow and grow and discover many future stars.”
Throughout the evening a number of guest performances took place, including a duet between Elvis Shmelvis and chief contest organiser Sue Camastra.
Chiswell Studios donated prizes for the contestants, including a free music video experience for the winners.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 Area Guide: The busy Hertfordshire town of Hemel Hempstead
Supported by the Herts Advertiser, St Albans’ Got Talent will be running next year, with this year’s competition raising almost £400 for charity.