Elephant painting wins Harpenden young arts competition
- Credit: Archant
A Harpenden art society held a competition and exhibition showcasing the artwork of talented under-18s.
The arts societies Harpenden Evening and Harpenden Area invited seven to 18-year-olds to submit paintings, photography, sculpture and textiles for an exhibition in Park Hall at the end of June.
Deputy Mayor Brian Ellis attended the exhibition and presented 17 different prizes for different categories and age groups, with 16 highly commended awards.
The overall winner was 16-year-old Chloe Strange with her portrait of an elephant.
All winning and highly commended entries were featured in the exhibition, with a rolling display of photos of all the other entries.
You may also want to watch:
The competition was run jointly by both societies to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Arts Society, which is a national charity supporting interest in the arts and helping to promote young artists.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 3 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 6 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 7 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 8 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 9 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 10 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order