Yobs trash igloo in St Albans park
A MASSIVE igloo built in Verulamium park by a group of five young men was knocked to pieces by a pair of young vandals. The five mates who built it were gutted when the youths struck on Friday night. Adrian Barlow, 30, of Chequer Street, St Albans, gave c
A MASSIVE igloo built in Verulamium park by a group of five young men was knocked to pieces by a pair of young vandals.
The five mates who built it were gutted when the youths struck on Friday night.
Adrian Barlow, 30, of Chequer Street, St Albans, gave chase as they ran away and caught one of them but released him when he realised he was only 15 years old.
He said: "I did lecture him on how much pleasure he had taken away from us and all the people who stopped to admire it."
You may also want to watch:
Adrian and his mates Shane Biggs, Aron Pallett, Mark Flanagan and Craig Ward are all builders and gardeners who were snowed off work during the recent bad weather.
The lads had spent around a week building the large igloo which caused quite a stir among the thousands of visitors to St Albans passing through the park.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 8 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 9 'State-sanctioned abuse' - why the family court system is failing
- 10 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
The first igloo they made was smashed up by vandals in the middle of the night so they stood sentry by their creation after that - and even slept there at night.
The second time it happened was when Adrian left his post briefly to walk over to the Fighting Cocks pub to change his socks.
As he walked back he saw the two youngsters running away and gave chase.
Adrian said: "It's so sad. We were just on the point of finishing it and had almost got the roof on. It was such a talking point and the children especially just loved it."
Adrian is now hoping for more snow.
He said: "I don't know if I'd have the heart to do it all over again though and my girlfriend Georgia Merritt would probably dump me because she's fed up of being an igloo widow.