WWI and WWII ammunition discovery in St Albans leads to police raid in Milton Keynes

PUBLISHED: 11:02 22 September 2014 | UPDATED: 11:02 22 September 2014



A bomb disposal team has been searching a home in Windmill Ave, St Albans. Herts Police are investigating the address, after finding heritage artefacts and WWI and WWII munitions. Picture by Kerry Davies/INS News Agency Ltd

A bomb disposal team has been searching a home in Windmill Ave, St Albans. Herts Police are investigating the address, after finding heritage artefacts and WWI and WWII munitions. Picture by Kerry Davies/INS News Agency Ltd

©2014 Kerry Davies/INS News Agency Ltd

Police have confirmed that a third arrest has been made after yet another seizure of First and Second World War artefacts and munitions following a raid on a St Albans home last week.

On Saturday (20) Thames Valley Police investigated a home in Newport Pagnell, Milton Keynes, where historic munitions were located.

The raid took place two days after a similar warrant was executed in Bicester, and three days after a home in Windmill Ave, St Albans, was searched by police.

As in St Albans, where the Explosive Ordnance Disposal team undertook controlled detonations of recovered munitions, bomb squad experts were expected to carry out a similar task in Milton Keynes to ensure the safety of residents.

A spokesman for Thames Valley Police said that officers’ investigation of the Newport Pagnell address was prompted by information provided following a warrant carried out by Herts Police in St Albans, and the subsequent seizure of items from the Bicester property.

At the Windmill Ave property, police and bomb squad experts uncovered a cache of First and Second World War artefacts including hand grenades, mortar shells and ammunition last Wednesday (17).

A 48 year old St Albans man has been bailed until November 14 after being arrested on suspicion of theft from heritage and protected sites and of possession of explosives, firearms and ammunition.

A 35 year old man from Bicester has been arrested on suspicion of theft from heritage and protected sites, and a 37 year old man, of Newport Dagnall, who was arrested on suspicion of theft from heritage and protected sites, has been bailed until November 11.

Det Sgt Pete Frost, from Herts Police, said: “I can confirm that the Thames Valley incidents are linked to our investigation and the warrant that was executed on Wednesday September 17 in St Albans.

“Our investigation is ongoing and we will continue to liaise with Thames Valley Police and partners in English Heritage.”

English Heritage has voiced concern about the practice of illegal metal detecting or stealing artefacts from the ground, particularly from conflict sites relating to the First and Second World Wars.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser