Woman tackles blaze as supper goes up in smoke

A BRAVE woman tackled a fire which broke out in her kitchen when she was cooking at the weekend. Firefighters were called to her home in Stanhope Road, St Albans, at around 8.15pm on Saturday when her cooking went up in flames. She had been heating oil in

A BRAVE woman tackled a fire which broke out in her kitchen when she was cooking at the weekend.

Firefighters were called to her home in Stanhope Road, St Albans, at around 8.15pm on Saturday when her cooking went up in flames. She had been heating oil in order to cook some frozen fish but when she added the fish, it started the fire.

The woman managed to put out the flames with a dry extinguisher before the arrival of firefighters.

Two crews from St Albans then ventilated her property and gave her some oxygen as she had inhaled a lot of smoke in tackling the fire.


You may also want to watch:


Although a St Albans firefighter commended the woman's quick and brave reaction, he warned that people needed to be extremely careful in tackling fires because of the associated risks.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus